06 November 2023

Mein Jesu, führe mich

Here is my translation of the Confirmation hymn, “Mein Jesu, führe mich” (Paul Henkel, 1825), in NEGB #126 with melody assignment “O Gott, du frommer Gott” and title “For the Confirmed Youth.” Again, the Confirmation hymn contains substantial material shared with repentance hymns.

 


MY Jesus, lead Thou me.
The Way and Life I own Thee.
Let me show love to Thee,
More than I yet have shown Thee,
By Thy good Spirit’s strength,
Help me each hour anew,
So let me be at length
More faithful and more true.

2 Thou hast me dearly bought
By suffering and dying;
To Baptism hast me brought
A heav’nly home supplying;
Thus if I wake or sleep,
I should seek heartily
To walk Thy way and keep
Thy covenant with me.

3 But I have seldom drowned
The Old Man and his doing,
Nor lived as I am bound,
The right and good pursuing;
I know it is not good,
My heart cries day and night:
I live not as I should,
O Lord, before Thy sight.

4 Thy Word doth make me know
I have not kept as spoken
The covenantal vow,
But oft the same have broken;
My conscience doth accuse,
Yea, loudly telleth me
That I did oft abuse
And sin, and anger Thee.

5 Astray in heart and mind,
Thy way I have forsaken,
And, hardened, stiff-necked, blind,
The way of sin have taken.
Till now, though often warned,
I ran with slackless pace;
And with unreason scorned
The covenant of grace.

6 From earliest infancy
I have not loved Thee rightly,
But in iniquity
Have walked, alas, despite Thee!
Oh, wilt Thou enter in
To judgment with Thy child,
How shall I favor win
Or find a judgment mild?

7 Since by Thy Word’s pure light
I am instructed ever,
And duty-bound by right
Sincerely to endeavor
To serve Thee faithfully,
Help me Thy banner bear,
And to Thy glory live
And be Thy child fore’er!

8 My God, do Thou forgive
My sin and my transgression,
That I with Thee may live,
Enjoying Thy salvation;
I’m set apart for Thee
By Thy true herald’s hand;
Prepare me, then, to see
The heav’nly Fatherland.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Mein Jesu führe mich,
du bist der Weg, das Leben,
daß ich recht liebe dich,
das kannst du mir selbst gebn,
durch deines Geistes Kraft,
steh du mir allzeit bei,
so wird in mir geschaft,
daß ich dir werde treu.

2 Du hast mich theur erkauft,
durch Leiden und durch Sterben,
dir bin ich auch getauft,
den Himmel zu ererben;
drum sollt ich stets drauf sehn,
daß ich von Herzensgrund,
in deinem Weg mag gehn
und halten deinen Bund.

3 Ich aber habe nicht
der Sünde widerstrebet,
und nicht nach meiner Pflicht
dem Rechten nachgelebet;
das weiß ich leider wohl,
mein Herze sagt es mir,
daß ich nicht, wie ich soll,
so lebe, Herr, vor dir.

4 Dein Wort das macht mir kund,
daß ich nicht, wie versprochen,
gehalten meinen Bund,
den hab ich oft gebrochen;
Gewissen klagt mich an,
ja gar laut sagt es mir,
daß ich oft bös gethan,
gesündigt oft vor dir.

5 Ich arm, verirrtes Kind
hab deinen Weg gefehlet,
verhärt, verstockt und blind
den Sünderweg gewählet,
so lief ich immerhin,
ja, bis zu dieser Stund,
und im verkehrten SInn
veracht den Gnadenbund.

6 Ich hab von Kindheit auf
dich niemals recht geliebet,
in meinem Sündenlauf
dich leider oft betrübet,
ach! wirst du dann mit mir
in das Gerichte gehn,
wie werd ich dann vor dir
gerechter Gott bestehn!

7 Nun bin ich durch dein Wort
ermahnt und unterrichtet,
nun bin ich immerfort
mit Recht dazu verpflichtet,
daß ich mich recht bestreb,
daß ich dir bleibe treu,
und dir zu Ehren leb
und dein Kind ewig sei.

8 Mein Gott, du wollest mir
all meine Sünd vergeben,
damit ich auch bei dir
hab ewig Heil und Leben;
dir bin ich nun geweiht
durch deines Dieners Hand,
mach du mich selbst bereit
fürs himmlisch Vaterland.

No comments: