23 November 2023

Da ich mich zur Ruh will legen

Here is my translation of the evening hymn, “Da ich mich zur Ruh will legen” (Erdmann Neumeister, d. 1756), in NEGB #161 with melody assignment “Gott des Himmels und der Erden” omitting stanzas 7–8. I find the full text in Neumeister’s Zugang zum Gnaden-Stuhl Jesu Christo (Jena/Leipsic, 1705), p. 248f.

  


SINCE I mind to take my slumber,
Faithful God, I now survey
All the bounties without number
Which Thy blessing gave today;
Thus my heart and lips afford
Thanks to Thee in Christ my Lord.

2 Bless me with new grace and favor,
Bless me with new proofs of love,
Let no sin prevent me ever,
All my debts in Christ remove;
Take Him for my Surety,
Such He can, and wills to be.

3 Bless me, Lord, while I am sleeping,
O’er my soul and body watch,
Shepherd, in Thy watchful keeping
Suffer naught Thy sheep to touch.
Oh, what sweet content is nigh
Those who in Thine arms may lie!

4 Bless me with defense unfailing
Through the angels of Thy guard,
Lest the devil’s rage and railing
Seem to me too fierce, too hard.
I am Thine, and so with Thee
Satan has no pow’r o’er me.

5 Bless my household and possessions,
For Thou surely lov’st Thy friends,
And dost give them sweet concessions
E’en before their slumber ends.
Therefore grant me, while I rest,
What may profit me the best.

6 Bless me with new strength and power,
Bless me for the coming day,
To perform my work each hour
In a careful, joyful way,
That all things may prosper well
Which my duty may compel.

7 Bless me with a life extended,
If my soul thereby shall gain;
All things be to Thee commended,
In Thy hands let all remain;
As Thou wilt, so deal with me,
For I live and die for Thee!

8 Lord, the things I here implore Thee
In Thy gracious favor bless;
In the morn I’ll stand before Thee
And rejoice with thankfulness.
Now, ye limbs, sleep peacefully,
Lay you down, and God bless me!

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Da ich mich zur Ruh will legen,
treuer Gott, so denk ich dran,
wie mir dein gewünschter Segen
heute so viel Guts gethan.
Nun in Christo opfern dir
Geist und Lippen Dank dafür.

2 Segne mich mit neuen Gnaden,
segne mich mit neuer Huld.
Laß mir keine Sünde schaden,
und erlaß mir alle Schuld.
Jesum nimm zum Bürgen an,
der bezahlen will und kann.

3 Segne mich in meinem Schlafe.
Gieb, daß unter deiner Hut,
treuer hirte deiner Schafe,
Leib und Seele sicher ruht.
O wie schläft sichs so vergnügt,
wenn man dir in Armen liegt!

4 Segne mich mit Schutz und Schirmen
durch die Engel deiner Wacht,
daß des Teufels Wuth und Stürmen
mir nicht Furcht und Schrecken macht.
Ich bin dein, so hat bei dir
Satan auch kein Theil an mir.

5 Segne mich an meiner Habe.
Weil du deine Freunde liebst,
und so manche gute Gabe
ihnen auch im Schlafe giebst:
also wirf mir in der Ruh,
was mir gut und nützlich, zu.

6 Segne mich mit Kraft und Stärke,
segne mich auf künftgen Tag,
daß ich meines Standes Werke
frisch und fröhlich führen mag,
und dann alles wohl gelingt,
was die Arbeit mit sich bringt.

7 Segne mich mit längerm Leben,
so mirs anders selig fällt.
Alles sei dir übergeben,
und gelassen heimgestellt.
Wie du willt, so schicks mit mir;
denn ich leb und sterbe dir.

8 Was ich mir jetzt ausgebeten,
wirst du gnädig benedein.
Morgen will ich vor dich treten,
und mich dankbar drüber freun.
Nun mein Leib, so lege dich,
und schlaf wohl: Gott segnet mich!

No comments: