22 April 2010

Mag es denn je nicht anders sein

Here is my transation of the hymn “Mag es denn je ni[ch]t anders [g]sein” (1560) by Magdalena Bekin. These original 7 stanzas form an acrostic on her name. I have preserved this in my translation (st. 1: MA, st. 2: G, st. 3:DA, st. 4:LEN, st. 5:A, st. 6: BEK, st. 7:IN). The bracketed German below shows variations that were added by Selneccer in a later publication when he attempted to improve it (but I think, weakened it a little).

I could not find the original melody, so here is one that I wrote that sounds like a period tune.



MAY I for woe not find a cure,
Oh God, have mercy graciously!
If I must long this pain endure,
Lord, I commend it all to Thee,
To take from sight
By Thy majestic might
This cross of mine;
Yet to Thy wisdom I resign.

2. God, didst Thou take away Thy hand
And all Thy heav’nly aid refuse,
Then who before Thy face could stand,
I pray, Lord, do not me so use.
For I have heard
This promise from Thy Word:
Thou never dost
Forsake those who in Thee do trust.

3. Damn not in haste! Make firm in me
My faith and hope in Thee, to live
In Thee, my source of certainty!
Oh God, my many sins forgive,
Which I have done
As oft from Thee I’ve run
And shamed Thy face:
Oh, deal Thou, Lord, with me in grace.

4. Lend yet the strength, this cross to bear,
For I would do Thy pleasure still.
I only pray, beside me fare,
That I may stand it with good will.
Assuage Thy wrath
And spare my soul from death,
Firm will bestow!
Oh Lord, the fault is mine, I know.

5. Alone in Thee my hope is found.
The deathly weight of sin I feel,
In dread of which I nigh have drowned,
Alone Thou hast the balm to heal;
And so I cry,
Thy help do not deny
This I implore,
Or I must weep forevermore.

6. Be kind, for lo, I come at last
With heart aggrieved, my sins to own!
So keep Thy Word: Forgive and cast
My guilt to black oblivion.
Thy Word is sure,
And true, and bright, and pure
As snow is white;
If only we might trust aright!

7. In God my gladness all I find,
For so avails His Word divine;
O Jesus, do Thy will and mind,
If Thou but patience wilt consign!
My balm Thou art,
Thy precious floods impart
Redemption free,
And save me, wretched though I be.

Translation © Matthew Carver, 2010.

GERMAN
1. MAG es denn je nicht anders sein,
Ach Gott, laß dichs erbarmen thun;
Ist denn das Unglück alls heur mein,
Herr, laß mich dir befohlen sein [So laß dirs, Gott, befohlen sein]
und wend von mir
durch dein göttliche Zier [durch dein göttliche Ehr]
das Kreuze mein.
Herr, du weißt wohl, wie es könn sein. […was es mag sein]

2. DA du, Herr, ein thust greifen an
und willst ihm deine Hilf versagn,
der mag für dir gar nicht bestahn,
ich bitt, du wollst mich nicht erlan.
Ich hab gehort
aus deim göttlichen Wort,
Wer traut auf dich,
den willt du, Herr, verlassen nicht.

3. LEg ab dein Zorn und stärk in mir
den Glauben und den Trost in dir;
Zu dir ich mich von Herzen find.
Ach Gott, vergieb mir meine Sünd,
die ich so hart
in mancher Fahrt
that wider dich.
Herr, handel mit mir gnädiglich.

4. Noch will ich, Herr, das Kreuze gern
tragen, dieweil es ist dein Wohlgefalln.
Ich bitt allein, wollst mir beistahn,
daß ichs könn mit Geduld ausstahn.
Leg ab dein Zorn,
Laß mich nicht sein verlorn,
verleih mir Geduld.
Ach Herr, es ist mein eigen Schuld.

5. All mein Hoffnung zu dir, mein Gott.
Ich lieg in Schmerz bis in den Tod
und leid groß Angst und Herzens Noth,
da du allein weißt Hilf und Rath;
drum ich dir klag.
ich bitt, mir nicht versag
die Hilfe dein,
sonst müßt ich ewig traurig sein.

6. BEKenn ich dir die Sünde mein
Und laß mirs leid von Herzen sein,
so muß es nach den Worten dein
vergeben und vergessen sein.
Dein Wort ist wahr,
Rein, lauter, gwiß und klar,
als Sonnenschein;
wer nur von Herzen traut darein.

7. IN gott setz ich die Freude mein,
das schafft sein göttlich[s] Wort allein.
Machs, Jesu, nach dem Willen dein, [Herr, schick es…]
allein du mir Geduld verleih. [allein mir mit Geduld erschein]
Du bist mein Trost,
[Denn du] hast mich erlost
mit deinem Blut.
Das kommt mir Armen auch zu gut. [Deß sich Christ zu freuen hat.]

No comments: