26 July 2024

Es hat Israel dennoch Schutz

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Es hat Israel dennoch Schutz” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm LXXIII, Quam bonus Israel, with title “Consolation against the offense of the cross of the children of God, who sustains them and in terrible manner casts down the wicked.” The Dorian melody by Waldis exhibits the meter 88.88.448.448 (pattern ABABCCDEED). There is some conjecture on how the ligatures should be drawn, but I follow Zahn here. Heugel’s Tenor line has a few variants compared to the published text.

 




STILL Isr’el hath a good defense,
He that conforms him to God’s Word,
God holds him ’gainst all threats immense,
God is his rock and strength assured.
But as for me, / I made to flee,
And found my feet were almost gone,
My step well nigh / had slipped, and I
Was sorely grieved, and had to groan.

2 For greatly did it trouble me
That godless men did prosper so,
And went along so gloriously
And all their deeds did brightly glow.
They ever are / from danger far,
Afraid of neither death nor ill,
They brace their hand / and firmly stand,
As though naught could disturb their will.

3 They are not like as other men
In troubles driven to and fro,
Nor are they plagued like others when
The evil day itself doth show.
Therefore their pride / is glorified,
Their evils they pursue unmoved;
Men praise their creed / and every deed,
And count them all by God approved.

4 Their bellies fat indulging e’er,
They make men with their goods to part,
Fulfill their whim without a care,
To please their proud and brazen heart.
Their sland’rous word / is often heard,
The true and right thereby suppressed;
They lofty speak / with senses weak,
Their madness doth their tongue attest.

5 Whate’er they say is precious found,
As if by God from heaven sent,
Their statutes have no rule nor bound,
And run through every government.
This all hath been / by all men seen,
Who think it all is right and good
To them they run, / all men as one,
As to their mighty water-flood.

6 What careth God (they mocking say)
For such a little, feeble flock?
Their worship doth Him poorly pay,
Thus they’re forsaken by their Rock!
Behold, such are / th’ ungodly here,
Who think that all they do is right,
Who have all wealth, / acclaim, and health,
Whose cause must prosper in their sight.

7 Lord God, then shall it be in vain
That here my heart doth blameless live?
I wash my hands all free from stain,
My heart for peace doth always strive.
Pain and dismay / are mine each day,
And for my life I weep and mourn,
I stop or go, / But all is woe,
And I am chastened every morn.

8 I would have spoken words like them,
And slandered God all shamelessly
But in so doing, would condemn
The children of my God, and me.
And when I thought / on this, and sought
True understanding here to gain,
It was for me / too hard, I see—
I pondered on it all in vain.

9 Then did I to God’s Word attend,
From which I learned aright to see
The matter clear from end to end,
And how things at the last would be.
Then was their ground / unsteady found
A slipp’ry place their trust became,
Thou madest all / their riches fall,
And puttest all their works to shame.

10 Quite suddenly they turn to naught,
With terrors are at once consumed:
To hell are in a moment brought,
And all their pride at last entombed,
Like clouds of steam / or like a dream,
Soon is their image seen no more,
Thus vanish quick / their guile and trick,
Their pomp and show that men adore.

11 The grieving my heart increased,
My conscience was sore pricked in me,
That I was as a fool and beast,
A creature ignorant, to Thee.
And yet I will / hold to Thee still,
Nor let the erring path deceive;
Thy holy Word / shall guide me, Lord,
And Thou to glory me receive.

12 All temp’ral things away I cast
If I may have Thee, Lord, alone;
Though soul and body fail at last,
Yet I am Thine, And Thou mine own.
Strength of my heart, / My portion art.
They perish that are far from Thee,
Who leave Thee, Lord / have not Thy Word,
Nor in Thy sight shall righteous be.

13 Therefore this is my joy from hence,
That I may to my God draw near:
He only is my confidence,
Helps me from anguish, grief, and fear;
His praise alone / among His own
Within the church I shall declare,
His holy place / With laud and praise
I’ll make to ring both now and e’er.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Es hat Israel dennoch schutz,
Wer sich nur richt nach Gottes wort,
Erhelt in wider allen trutz,
Er ist sein trost, sein hülff und hort,
Abr ich war schier / verzagt in mir,
Und daß mein fuß gestrauchlet het,
Es kundt mein trit / bestehen nit,
So weh mirs in meim hertzen thet.

2 Dann es verdroß mich mechtig sehr,
Daß den Gottlosen so wol ging:
Also rhumrethig furen her,
Und war ir thun so köstlich ding.
Sie seind so gar / in keiner fahr,
Sie schreckt kein unfal, noch der todt.
Sein fett gemest / und stehn gar fest,
Als hets mit in noch lang keyn not.

3 Sie werden nit, wie ander lewt,
Ins unglück hin und her gejagt:
So werdens auch zur bösen zeit,
Wie ander menschen nit geplagt.
Drumb muß auch sein, / köstlich und fein,
Ir frevel und ir stoltzer mut.
Was sie hebn an, / heyßt wolgethan,
Vor Gott muß sein tewr, werdt und gut.

4 Irn feysten wanst sie hoch herfürn,
Damit vernichten alles gut:
Thun alls was sie nur dencken thürn,
Auß irem frechen stoltzen mut.
Ir lesterwort / beyd hie und dort,
Die warheyt und das recht verdruckt,
Reden da van / auß falschem wahn,
Der unverstand ir sinn verruckt.

5 Ir red muß gelten gleich so viel,
Als habs Gott selbst im himel stelt:
Ir satzung hat keyn maß noch ziel,
Und muß groß sein in aller welt.
Das siht dann an / der gmeine Man,
Und meynt es sei alls recht und gut.
Gar bald sichs haufft / und zuhin laufft,
Gleichwie ein starcke wasserflut.

6 Ach sprechen sie, was solt doch Gott
Fragen, nach jennem heufflin klein:
Irs Gotsdiensts hat Er gar seinn spot,
Drumb leßt ers auch verachtet sein:
Sih das seind die / Gotlosen hie,
Den all ir thun auffrichtig steht.
Han in der welt, / gunst, gut und gelt,
Ir sach nach allem wunsch hergeht.

7 HERR Gott, sols dann vergebens sein,
Daß hie mein hertz unstrefflich lebt:
In unschuld wasch die hende mein,
Mein gmüt allzeit nach friden strebt.
Mein pein und plag / kumpt alle tag,
Und wer meins lebens nimmer fro,
Geh oder steh, / hab ich mein weh,
Und ist mein straff all morgen do.

8 Ich het auch schier gesagt wie sie,
Meinn Gott gelestert unverschampt:
Abr damit wern die frummen hie,
Und Gottes kinder all verdampt,
So tracht ich doch / der sachen nach,
Ob ichs recht het begreiffen moch,
Es ward mir zschwer / und viel zu ferr,
Umbsunst ich mich daran versucht.

9 Biß das ich gieng, und hört Gots wort,
Darauß man lernt solch ding verstehn:
Und merckt die Sach von end zu ort,
Und wies mit in hinauß würd gehn,
Da war ihr grund, drauff ir sach stund,
Nur schlipffrig ding, und loser tand,
Du stürtzest sie, zu boden hie,
Damit machst all ir thun zu schandt.

10 Gar plötzlich werden sie zu nicht,
Mit schrecken nemen bald ein end:
Zur hellen auch bald hin gericht,
Daselbst ir stoltz und hoffart wendt.
Gleich wie der Schawm, ein bild im trawm,
bald in eim hui verschwunden ist,
So gehn zurück, ir böse tück,
Ir hoffart, pracht und falsche list.

11 Das thut mir weh im hertzen mein,
Und sticht das gwissen hart in mir:
Daß ich für dir ein Narr muß sein,
Nichts wissen wie ein thumme thir,
Dennoch halt ich, mich stedts an dich,
Daß ich mag richtig einher gan,
Und ist dein wort, mein Rath, mein hort,
Nimpst mich endtlich mit ehren an.

12 All zeitlichs wirt bei mir veracht,
Wann ich nur dich hab HERR allein:
Wann mir gleich leib und seel verschmacht,
So wirstu dennoch bei mir sein.
Du bist mein heyul, und mein Erbtheyl,
Die von dir weichen, kommen umb.
Die dich verlan, dein wort nicht han,
Werden auch nimmer vor dir frumm.

13 Darumb sol diß mein freude sein,
Daß ich mich halt zu meinem Gott:
Er ist mein zuversicht alleyn,
Hilfft mir auß aller angst und not,
Sein lob alleyn, in seiner gmeyn,
Sol allzeit sein in meinem mundt.
Sein ehr und rhum, im heilgthum,
Werd nun und Ewiglich verkundt.





No comments: