04 July 2024

Ich schrei zu meinem lieben Gott

 Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Ich schrei zu meinem lieben Gott” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm CXLII, Voce mea ad Dominum clamavi, with title “God takes up our cause . . . An instruction of David to pray, when he was in the cave” and melody assignment “In the previous melody,” i.e., “Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ.”

 


TO my dear God and Lord I cry,
With pray’rful voice imploring;
In my distress to God apply,
My plaint to Him out pouring.
I show Him, as well as I may,
What troubles sore are weighing,
Inly praying;
He’ll turn me not away,
In grace His help conveying.

2 Whene’er my spirit feels dismay
Thou dost with care attend me,
They with their tricks lay in my way
A snare to apprehend me.
Look to the right, my ills address!
There is no other savior
To deliver
My soul from such distress;
None careth for me ever.

3 I cry to Thee Lord, from my heart
Amid these woes aggrieving,
I say, my refuge, Lord, Thou art,
My portion ‘mongst the living.
Oh, Lord, attend unto my cry,
Hear what concerns await me:
Those who hate me
Are stronger far than I,
And soon must devastate me.

4 I pray in need and suffering,
Oh, help me, lest I waver!
My soul out of this prison bring,
That I Thy name forever
May praise, and righteous men around
May gather, and before Thee
Come adore Thee,
Who dost in grace abound,
And show’st Thy truth and glory.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ich ſchrey zu meinem lieben Gott
Und ruff mit lauter Stimme/
Ich fleh zum Herrn in meiner Noth/
Zu ihm ſtehn all mein Sinne/
Ich will ſo fleiſſig als ich kan/
Für ihm mein Hertz ausſchütten/
Flehn und bitten/
Er wird mich nicht verlahn/
Wird helffen durch ſein Güte.

2  Wann mein Geiſt iſt in Angſt verſtrickt/
So thuſtu meiner pflegen/
Sie legen mir durch ihre Tück
Fallſtrick auff meinen Wegen/
Schaw du zum Recht/ nim dich mein an/
Es kan mich niemand retten
Aus mein Nöthen/
Mich ſchewet jedermann
Und thut von mir abtreten.

3  Zu dir/ HErr/ ſchrey ich inniglich/
Wenn Angſt und Noth fürhanden/
Ich ſprech: Du biſt mein Zuverſicht/
Mein Theil ins Lebens Lande/
Ach HErr vernim die Rede mein/
Merck auff mein ſehnlich Klagen/
Ich muß ſagen:
Die Feind zu mechtig ſeyn/
Die mich ſo übel plagen.

4  Ich leide Noth und Ungefell/
Hilff mir/ daß ich nicht wancke/
Führ aus dem Kercker meine Seel/
Daß ich deim Namen dancke/
So werden ſich gerechte Leut
Zu mir ſamlen mit Fleiſſe
Und dich preiſen/
Der du mir alle Zeit
Dein Hülff und Trew beweiſeſt.

No comments: