18 July 2022

Wir danken Dir, Herr Jesu Christ, daß Du das Lämmlein . . .

 Here is my translation of the Communion hymn “Wir danken Dir, Herr Jesu Christ, daß Du das Lämmlein . . .” (N. Selnecker, 1572), a simple prayer of faith containing several petitions relating to the Holy Supper. The appointed melody in Evangelisch-Lutherisches Gesang-Buch (the old Buffalo Synod German Hymnal) is “Wenn wir in höchsten Nöten sein,” but in the hymnal of the Allgemeine Versammlung, “Herr Gott, dich loben alle wir.”




 

LORD Jesus Christ, our thanks to Thee,
That Thou wast made our Lamb to be,
And bearest all our sin and shame;
Grant that we may Thy grace proclaim.

2 Lord, Thy most Holy Supper e’er
Preserve among us everywhere;
Thy body and Thy crimson blood
Serve for our soul and body’s good.

3 Thou hast ordained this cov’nant high,
And said’st, on this with joy rely!
Take, eat, this is My body true,
Drink Thou My blood. This often do.

4 I eat Thy body, drink Thy blood,
And am refreshed in heart and mood,
In body, soul, and conscience blest,
By sin and death no more distressed.

5 E’en though I die, I die to Thee,
Thy body_and blood abide with me,
And where Thou art, I will remain;
O Lord, my feeble faith sustain!

6 Curs’d be the heretic and fool,
Who think their God to overrule!
O Jesus Christ, I am Thy sheep,
I hear Thy voice, to Thee I keep.

7 Among the godly number me,
Who eat Thy Supper worthily;
Forsake me not, O Lord my God!
Thine is the glory, pow’r, and laud.

8 Help by Thy bitter Passion aye,
That we may always Thee obey,
And in Thy pledge here testified,
Thy promise, and Thy truth abide.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN 

Wir danken Dir, Herr Jesu Christ,
das Du das Lämmlein worden bist
und trägst all unsre Sünd und Schuld,
gib, daß wir rühmen Deine Huld.

2 Dein allerheiligst Abendmahl,
erhalt bei uns, Herr, überall,
Dein Leib und rosenfarbnes Blut,
komm unserm Leib und Seel zu gut.

3 Den Bund Du selbst gestiftet hast,
gesagt: Euch fröhlich drauf verlaßt!
nimm hin und iß, das ist mein Leib:
trink du mein Blut und dabei bleib.

4 Ich ess Dein Leib und trink Dein Blut,
dadurch werd ich erquickt an Muth,
an Seel, an Leib, am Gwissen gar,
wider die Sünd und Todsgefahr.

5 Wenn ich gleich sterb, so sterb ich Dir,
Dein Leib und Blut kommt nicht von mir,
und wo Du bist, da will ich sein,
hilf, Herr, dem schwachen glauben mein.

6 Verflucht sei aller Ketzer Rott,
die meistern wollen ihren Gott,
ich bin Dein Schäflein, Jesu Christ,
Dein Stimm ich hör zu jeder Frist.

7 Laß mich sein in der Frommen Zahl,
würdig zu Deinem Abendmahl,
verlaß mich nicht mein Gott und Herr,
Dein ist die Kraft, macht, Lob und Ehr.

8 Hilf uns durchs bittre Leiden Dein,
daß wir allzeit Dir ghorsam sein
und halten uns an Deinen Eid,
an Dein Verheißung und Wahrheit.


No comments: