20 July 2022

Ach Du allerhöchste Freude

Here is my translation of the Communion hymn “Ach du allerhöchste Freude” (G. Weber, 1648) as found, i.a., in the Buffalo Synod hymnal #326. Two melodies are provided: the original from Weber’s Lebensfrüchte, and that for “Sei gegrüßet, Jesu gütig” (Praxis pietatis 1676), the latter being indicated in Layriz’s Kern. Concerning the author, little has come down to us of the life of Georg Heinrich Weber; there is not complete certainty in distinguishing him and his works from an elder Georg Weber. Our author seems to have been a 17th century composer born in Dahlen, Misnia, who in 1648–49 published his multi-volume Wohlriechende Lebensfrüchte (Sweet-smelling Life-fruits) in Danzig and had it printed in Königsberg, and the next year is found studying in the latter city. Later works appear in Leipzig and Weißenfels, where he was a cantor. He is possibly the Georg Weber mentioned by Wetzel, Hymnopoeograph. III, 361, as a vicar and succentor at the Magdeburg Cathedral in the 17th c. (ADB)

 

 


AH, Thou Joy, all joys excelling,
Pleasant pasture, death dispelling,
Soul, my dying body thrilling,
Balm, my hollow heart upfilling
Treasure, for which longings stir me!
Come, content me, come assure me!

2 Come, my Lord, come forth to meet me,
Who am hither come to greet Thee
In the greatest work of wonder,
Far beyond my skill to ponder;
Thus I come and will not leave Thee!
Come, or I cannot receive Thee!

3 Come to meet me! Lord, come hither
Think how, pow’rless, else I wither!
Jesus Christ, Thyself prepare me,
Worthy make me here to share Thee,
Live within me as my Savior,
Let me live with Thee forever!

4 Thou hast here the banquet given,
Spread the board with food of heaven,
Sickly hearts hereto hast bidden,
Healest souls and sins deep-hidden;
To be meat and drink hast deignèd,
Though in manner unexplainèd.

5 I in faith behold this truly,
Groaning cry, with life imbue me!
Quicken Thou my soul so needy,
Give my torment healing speedy;
Oh, what heavy pains I suffer!
Food of life, Thy solace proffer!

6 Heal me, grant me grace and favor,
Jesus worthily to savor;
Lord, refresh me with Thy quickness,
Sink Thyself within my sickness,
Live in me! Make me, O Maker,
Of Thy death and blood partaker.

7 Jesus, be my heart, my sighing,
Now and in my hour of dying,
Jesus, as my life avail me
When distress and fear assail me;
My Protector, be Thou near me;
When I call upon Thee, hear me!

8 Lord, Thy holy body feed me,
On its strength to heaven lead me;
Let Thy blood my heart be stirring,
Wash it clean from sin and erring,
Dress me fittingly for heaven
When by death my heart is driven.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Ach Du allerhöchste Freude,
meine Lust und Lebensweide,
meines todten Lebens Seele,
Trost in traurigr Herzenhöhle,
o Du Schatz, den ich begehre,
komm vergnüge, komm gewähre!

2 Komm, mein Herr, entgegen gehe
mir, der ich mich unterstehe,
zu dem allergrößten Werke,
welches Sinn und Seelen-Stärke
übertrifft, hinzu zu nahen,
komm, sonst kann ichs nicht empfahen.

3 Komm entgegen, Herr, betrachte,
wie ich kraftlos sonst verschmachte,
Jesu Christe, mich bereite
würdig Dich zu nehmen heute,
jetzund wollst du in mir schweben,
auch mit Dir ewig zu leben.

4 Du hast ja den Tische gedecket,
gesetzt drauf, was köstlich schmecket,
ladest dazu kranke Herzen,
heilest Sünd und Seelenschmerzen;
Herr, Dich selbst gibst Du zur Speise,
doch in unbekannter Weise.

5 Dies im Glauben ich erblicke,
rufe seufzend, Herr, erquicke,
Herr, erquick mein arme Seele,
hindre, daß ich mich nicht quäle,
großen Schmerzen ich erleide,
lindre den, Du Lebensweide.

6 Heile mich, laß Gnad erlangen,
Jesum würdig zu empfangen,
labe mich, Herr, speis und tränke,
in mich Kranken Dich versenke,
senke Dich, ich will genießen,
Deinen Tod, Dein Blutvergießen.

7 Jesu, sei im Herz und Munde
jetzt und in der Todestunde,
Jesu Christe sei mein Leben,
wenn mich Angst und Furcht umgeben,
Jesu, Schutzherr, steh und wehre,
wenn ich Dich anruf, erhöre.

8 Herr, Dein heilger Leib mich speise,
stärke mich zur Himmelsreise,
Herr, Dein Blut mein Herz auch rühre,
wasch es rein von Sünd, und führe
mich zum Vater schön geschmücket,
wenn der Tod das Herz abdrücket.


 

No comments: