04 January 2024

Ich preise deine Gnad

Here is my translation of the Advent hymn, “Ich preise deine Gnad” (Johann Olearius, d. 1684), in GGELB #25 with melody assignment “O Gott, du frommer Gott.” Fischer has no entry for it. I find it in the author’s Exemplarische Betkunst (1671), p. 994f., for Advent III, with ascription “D. J. O.” (Dr. Johann Olearius) and melody assignment “O Jesu, Gottes Lamm”; so also later, e.g., in Habermann’s Gsb/Gbb (Gera, 1725).

 


I PRAISE Thy grace, my God,
My Life and my Salvation!
Who gav’st Thyself to be
My help and consolation.
Thou art alone the One
With pow’r to rescue me,
My Jesus, by whose blood
I am redeemed and free!

2 Thou art the blind man’s Light,
The lame to walk Thou makest;
The leper too is cleansed,
The dead to life Thou wakest;
The deaf perceive Thy Word
With its consoling sense;
And he is blest, whose heart
At Thee takes no offense.

3 Let me Thy precious Word
Hold fast with faith unwav’ring,
All vile inconstancy
With all my heart disfav’ring;
Help me, that unto death
I may be true to Thee;
Grant no distress, my God,
From Thee to sunder me.

4 Let me prepare Thy way
By penitence unfeigning,
And by Thy pow’r repel
All lust of sin remaining,
That I may please Thee, Lord,
While here I make my home,
Till unto Thee at last
In realms of joy I come.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ich preise deine Gnad,
mein Gott, mein Heil, mein Leben!
daß du dich mir zum Trost
und Helfer selbst gegeben.
Du bists allein, der mir
hat kommen solln zugut,
mein Jesus! der mich hat
erlöset durch sein Blut.

2 Du bist der Blinden Licht,
du machst die Lahmen gehen;
es wird der Aussatz rein;
die Todten auferstehen;
der Taube hört dein Wort,
das Armen Trost verspricht,
und der ist selig, wer
an dir sich ärgert nicht.

3 Laß mich dein theures Wort
mit festem Glauben fassen,
die Unbeständigkeit
von ganzem Herzen hassen;
hilf daß ich dir getreu
verbleibe bis in Tod;
laß mich von dir, mein Gott!
nicht scheiden keine Noth.

4 Hilf, daß ich dir den Weg
mit wahrer Buß bereite,
und alle Sündenlust
durch deine Kraft bestreite,
daß ich gefalle dir,
so lang ich leb allhier,
bis in dein Freudenreich,
ich endlich komm zu dir.

No comments: