05 January 2024

Ich lobe dich, mein Gott

Here is my translation of the Advent hymn, “Ich lobe dich, mein Gott” (Johann Olearius, d. 1684), in GGELB #27 with melody assignment “O Gott du frommer Gott.” There is no entry in Fischer. It appears in the author’s Exemplarische Betkunst (1671) under “The Fourth Sunday in Advent” with title “Encouragement from the Gospel,” ascription “D. J. O.,” and melody assignment “O Jesu Gottes Lamm.” Hamburg 1761 gives it as the Gospel hymn for Advent IV “from the Gospel of John 1:19–28” and adds a 5th stanza “Gott Vater, dir sei Preis,” etc. (an old doxological stanza often attached to “O Gott du frommer Gott” or “Nun danket alle Gott”).

 


I WORSHIP Thee, my God,
With deepest adoration;
I glorify Thy grace
And sing with jubilation,
Since Thou into this world
Didst come for my great good
And as a garment wear
Our very flesh and blood.

2 In vain were all our thoughts,
Unless the God who made us
Had not Himself been pleased
To send His Son to aid us,
My Mediator great,
The God-Man, Champion strong,
Lord of Eternity,
My Hope my whole life long.

3 Forever let the voice
Of Thy dear Word direct me;
Give me the Spirit’s strength
Lest e’er the world affect me
With lies and guiling pomp
And prideful majesty;
Give me John’s fearless heart
And faithful constancy.

4 Let Baptism’s mighty balm
My heart relieve and lighten
When Satan shoots his bolt
And with my sins doth frighten.
Let me hereby consoled
To sleep go blessedly,
That evermore in heav’n
I may remain with Thee.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ich lobe dich, mein Gott!
aus meines Herzens Grunde;
ich preise deine Gnad
erfreut mit meinem Munde,
daß du in diese Welt
bist kommen mir zu gut,
und hast verkleidet dich
in unser Fleisch und Blut.

2 Vergeblich und umsonst
wär aller Menschen Denken,
wenn Gott nicht seinen Sohn
uns selbst hätt wollen schenken;
du bist der große Held,
und Herr von Ewigkeit,
mein Mittler Gott und Mensch,
mein Trost und Seligkeit.

3 Laß deines Wortes Stimm
allzeit mein Herz regieren;
gib mir des Geistes Kraft,
so wird mich nicht verführen
die Welt und ihr Betrug,
Pracht, Ehr und Herrlichkeit;
gib mir Johannis Muth,
Treu und Beständigkeit.

4 Laß mich der Taufe Kraft
und deinen Trost empfinden,
wann mich des Satans Pfeil
erschreckt mit meinen Sünden;
laß mich hierauf getrost
und selig schlafen ein,
daß ich dort ewig kann
im Himmel bei dir sein.

No comments: