07 August 2015

O Gott voll Gnad und Gütigkeit

Here is my translation of the repentance hymn “O Gott voll Gnad und Gütigkeit” (J. Olearius, 1671) from the author’s Geistliche Singe-Kunst (Spiritual Art of Singing), for the 11th Sunday after Trinity, based on Luke 18:9–14, taking as its theme the encouragement from the Gospel. It was adopted by Leipzig 1673, Nürnberg 1676, Plön 1687, Wagner (Leipzig) 1697, Hamburg 1710, Crüger’s Praxis 1712, Hildesheim 1730, Breslau 1734, and Leipzig 1738. (Fischer 156). The appointed melody is “Was mein Gott will, das gscheh allzeit” (de Sermisy, 1528).



O GOD, all-gracious, good, and kind,
My God, hear my entreaty;
Thy tender mercy call to mind,
And let Thy heart take pity;
Death, hell, and sin / My soul would win
And quickly then undo it;
To me unlace / the door of grace
And let my pray’r pass through it.

2 I am unworthy, I confess,
To lift mine eyes to heaven;
In shame with trembling fearfulness
My gaze to earth is driven;
For oft have I / done wickedly—
Yea, more than may be pondered;
In all my life / With vices rife
The broader way I’ve wandered.

3 My God, the highest Good who art,
The Fount of grace and pardon,
I flee to Thee; mind, soul, and heart,
Worn weary by sin’s burden,
Seek morn and eve / Thy kind reprieve,
Which for all men availeth;
To me unlace / The door of grace
Before my spirit faileth.

4 Oh, show me grace, for in Thy Son
Thou hast the Lamb supplied me
Which bore my sin— the Mercy-throne!
What then can be denied me?
His precious blood / My highest Good,
Hath cleansed me of transgression;
Give ear to me, / Help graciously,
Oh, let me find compassion!

5 My heart perceives the Life (praise God!)
Which in Thy Word is given;
I see, my Jesus hath bestowed
On me the throne of heaven.
Reign, God, and fill / My heart and will,
Lest from the way I waver;
Grant piety / And constancy
That I may praise Thee ever.

Translation © 2015 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN
1 O Gott voll Gnad und Gütigkeit
Mein Gott, erhör mein Flehen,
Gedenk an dein Barmherzigkeit,
Laß dirs zu Herzen gehen,
Ich steck in Not, / Sünd, Höll und Tod
Will meine Seel verschlingen;
Erföffne mir / Die Gnaden-Thür,
Laß mein Gebet durchdringen.

2 Ich muß gestehn, ich bins nicht werth
Mein Augen aufzuheben,
Ich muß mich schämen und die Erd
Ansehn mit Furcht und Beben,
Weil ich vielmal / Ja ohne Zahl
In meinem ganzen Leben
Nicht recht gethan, / Der breiten Bahn
Voll Sünden mich ergeben.

3. Ach Gott, mein Gott, du höchstes Gut,
du Brunnquell aller Gnaden,
Ich flieh zu dir: Herz, Sinn und  Mut,
Mühselig und beladen,
Sucht deine Gnad, / Die früh und spat
Noch allen offen stehet:
Eröffne mir / Die Gnadenthür,
Eh mein Geist gar vergehet.

4. Ach, sey mir gnädig, weil dein Sohn
Auch meine Sünd getragen,
Hilf mir durch diesen Gnaden-Thron,
Du wirst mirs nichts versagen:
Sein theures Blut, / Mein höchstes Gut
Macht mich ja rein von Sünden,
Erhöre mich, / Hilf gnädiglich,
Ach laß mich Gnade finden!

5. Gott Lob, mein Herz empfindet schon
Aus deinem Wort das Leben;
Ich seh! daß mir des Himmels Thron
Mein Jesus hat gegeben,
Mein Gott, regier / All mein Begier,
Den rechten Weg mir weise,
Gib Frömmigkeit, / Beständigkeit,
Daß ich dich ewig preise.

No comments: