13 May 2010

Mein Leben in der Eil

 Update August 25/2015. The original melody from Zahn:



Originally published 5/13/10 4:46 PM:
Here is my translation of the burial hymn “Mein Leben in der Eil” by the Silesian pastor Leonhard Kräntzheim (1532–1598), who served in Fraustadt as chief pastor while Valerius Herberger was deacon. I could not find a melody, only the incipit "c d e f d e." The meter is 66766. It is supposed to have found its way into some 17th c. Bohemian Brethren hymnals.

MY LIFE now toward the prize
Swift as an arrow flies,
And as a blossom withers
Where winds too roughly chide;
My pow’rs must soon subside.

2. From out this house of clay
I soon must wend my way
To Thee, Lord Christ, the bedrock
On which I stand and trust:
Hold firm this building must.

3. O death, thou dreadful sight,
At thee I take no fright,
For taken was thy power
By Jesus’ death, I know,
Who saves me from all woe.

4. I now depart, adieu!
Death is my gain; ’tis true,
For thus in Jesus’ bosom
And hand I’ll come to stand,
In my true fatherland.

Translation © Matthew Carver, 2010.

GERMAN
1. Mein Leben in der Eil
fleucht dahin wie ein Pfeil,
verwelkt gleichwie ein Blümlein,
das rauer Wind vertreibt,
nicht lang bei Kräften bleibt.

2. Aus diesem leimen Haus
werd ich bald ziehen aus
zu dir, Herr Christ, dem Eckstein,
darauf ich steh und trau,
das ist ein fester Bau.

3. O Tod, du greulichs Thier,
was kannst du schaden mir?
Dein Macht ist dir genommen
durch Christi Kreuz und Tod:
Hilf mir aus aller Noth.

4. Ade, ich fahr dahin,
Sterben ist mein gewinn,
denn also werd ich kommen
zu Christi Schoß und Hand
ins rechte Vaterland.

No comments: