21 December 2009

Morning Prayer

O MERCIFUL, gracious God, Thou Father of eternal light and consolation, whose goodness and faithfulness are new every morning, praise, honor, and thanks be to Thee for the blessed light of day, and for so graciously preserving me through the darkness of night and granting me a calm slumber and rest. Now let me rise joyfully again in Thy grace and love, protection and keeping, and make profitable and gladsome use of the precious light of day. But above all, shine on me with the eternal light which is my Lord Jesus Christ, that I may be enlightened with His grace and the knowledge of Him. Guard within my breast the lamp of faith, stoke and strengthen it, stir up Thy love within me, confirm my hope, grant me true humility and gentleness that I may walk in the footsteps of my Lord Jesus Christ, and let Thy godly fear be always before mine eyes in all my doings. Drive out of my heart all spiritual darkness and blindness. Keep me this day and always from superstition and idolatry, from pride, from blasphemy of Thy name, from contempt of Thy Word, from disobedience, and from violent wrath, that this day the sun may not go down in mine anger. Keep me from hostility, from hatred and envy, from immorality, from unrighteousness, from falsehood and lying, from shameful greed, and from the willing and doing of all that is wicked. Stir up within me a hunger and thirst for Thyself and Thy righteousness. Teach me to do according to Thy pleasure; let Thy good Spirit guide me upon the level way. Let me behold the host of Thine holy angels, even as Jacob; give them charge over me, to keep me in all my ways, to bear me up in their hands, lest I dash my foot against a stone; that I may be strong to tread upon the lion and adder, and to trample under feet the young lion and the dragon. Unto Thee I commend this day my thoughts, heart, mind, sense, and all mine endeavors. Unto Thee I commend my lips and all my words. Unto Thee I commend all my works; let them redound to the glory of Thy name and to the service of my neighbor. Make me a vessel of Thy mercy and an instrument of Thy grace. Bless all my doings, give me success in my calling, and curb all those who would hinder it. Keep me from the slander and poisonous darts of the deceiver. Unto Thee I commend my body and soul, my honor and property; let Thy grace and goodness be my constant companion. Keep Thine hand upon me when I sit or stand, when I wait or wander, when I rise up or lie down. Keep me from the arrow that flieth by day, from the pestilence that walketh in darkness, and from the destruction that wasteth at noonday. Bless the source of my livelihood; give to me in my need whatever is Thy will, neither let me misuse Thy gifts. Defend us all from war, hunger, and pestilence, and from an evil and sudden death. Defend my soul, my going out and my coming in, from henceforth and forevermore. Bestow on me a blessed end, and let me await with longing and joy the blessed Last Day. Now God the Father bless me and keep me, God the Son make His face to shine upon me and be gracious unto me, and God the Holy Ghost lift up His countenance upon me and give me peace. Amen.

No comments: