27 September 2024

Wohl denen, die ohn Wandel gehn (part 3)

Here is the third part of my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Wohl denen, die ohn Wandel gehn” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm CXIX,  Beati immaculati, with title “A psalm of supplication, that God would lead us in His saving Word and grace and curb the enemy.” Waldis composed his hymn with one stanza for every alphabetical section, making 22 stanzas in all. To make it manageable on a daily basis, I have divided into multiple parts (as done by Schütz with Becker’s Psalm CXIX), the third part consisting of stanzas 8–10 (cheth, teth, yod). The Ionian melody by Waldis, having the meter 887.887.87.87.84.48 is upbeat and accommodates the longer format well without insipid repetition. The meter is also used for Psalm CIV.


 



8 I say, This shall my portion be,
To walk Thy ways unswervingly,
Thy testament attending;
Before Thy face I Thee entreat,
Lord, keep to me Thy promise sweet,
Thy gracious hearing lending!
Th’ ungodly bands would plunder me,
Bid me give up my Treasure;
But will I keep that company
That liveth in Thy pleasure.
Therefore I rise and midnight’s hour,
And thank Thee, Lord,
For Thy dear Word;
Earth teemeth with Thy grace and pow’r.

9 Thou keep’st Thy Word and fav’rest me.
Help me to keep unceasingly
My faith from all transgressing
I strayed, but Thou didst set me right,
Obedience taught by cross’s light
All for my good and blessing;
The proud in lying never cease,
Me from Thy Law to sever.
Their heart is thick and fat as grease,
Yet Thee I’ll hold forever.
The Law which Thy dear mouth reveals
More dear I hold
Than precious gold,
No rust consumes, nor robber steals.

10 Thy hand divine hath fashioned me,
Teach me Thy righteousness to see,
Thy faithful ones to gladden;
I know Thy judgments all are right,
Thou mak’st me keep them well in sight,
It shall my heart not sadden.
Thou faithfully afflicted hast,
Grant me Thy mercy tender,
The lying lips rebuke at last,
Spare not the vile offender.
All those who Thee in fear have claimed.
Preserve, O Lord,
In Thy sure ward,
And let them never be ashamed.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

8 Ich sag: Das sol mein erbe sein,
Da ich geh auff den wegen dein,
Zu deim zeugniß mich kere,
Ich flehe vor diem angesicht,
Bitt von hertzen, verlaß mich nicht,
Nach deim wort mich erhöre.
Mich beraubt der Gottlosen rott,
Ich söl dich ubergeben.
Doch halt ich mich zu den, O Gott,
Die nach deim willen leben.
Drumb steh ich auff zu mitternacht,
Und danck dir HERR
Vor deine lehr,
Die erd ist vol deinr güt und macht.

9 Du thust mir guts nach deinem wort,
Hilff meinem glauben immerfort,
Vor sünden mich behüte,
Ich irret eh du mich bekertst,
Und durch das Creutz gehorsam lertst,
Das kompt mir jetz zu güte.
Die stoltzen gehn mit lügen her,
Von dir mich abzutreiben.
Ir hertz ist dick, und feyßt wie schmer,
Doch wil ich an dir bleiben.
Das gsetz deins mundes ist mir lieb,
Ich habs gar holdt,
Wie theures gold,
Es frißts keyn rost, auch stilts keyn dieb.

10 Dein Göttliche handt hat mich bereyt,
Drumb ler mich dein gerechtigkeyt,
Daß sichs die frommen frewen,
Ich weyß, daß dein gericht sind recht,
Dabei erhalt mich ercht und schlecht,
So wirts mich nicht gerewen,
Trewlich du mich gezüchtigt hast,
Laß mir gnad widerfaren.
Die lügen meuler straff getrost,
Und wöllest sie nicht sparen,
All die dich förchten hie auff erd,
Du HERR erhalt,
Und irer walt,
Auff das keyner zu schanden werd.



No comments: