25 September 2024

Wohl denen, die ohn Wandel gehn (part 1)

Here is the first part of my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Wohl denen, die ohn Wandel gehn” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm CXIX,  Beati immaculati, with title “A psalm of supplication, that God would lead us in His saving Word and grace and curb the enemy.” Waldis composed his hymn with one stanza for every alphabetical section, making 22 stanzas in all. To make it manageable on a daily basis, I have divided into multiple parts (as done by Schütz with Becker’s Psalm CXIX), the first part consisting of stanzas 1–4 (aleph, beth, gimel, daleth). The Ionian melody by Waldis, having the meter 887.887.87.87.84.48 is upbeat and accommodates the longer format well without insipid repetition. The meter is also used for Psalm CIV.

 




THEY blessèd are that walk unstained,
With all their heart pursue this end:
To live as God intendeth.
That to His holy Law give heed,
And day and night make sure no deed
His holy will offendeth.
So in Thy Word us surely hold,
With grace let us be fillèd,
So that our heart may not grow cold,
To live as Thou hast willèd.
Preserve us in the doctrine pure,
So shall we say
Thee thanks alway,
Oh, Lord, forsake us nevermore!

2 That man his way reproachless goes
That doth on Thy commands repose,
Seeks Thee with heart unturning.
Who holds Thy Word more firm than all,
Thou comfortest, lest he should fall
To hell’s eternal burning.
Blessèd be Thou, O Lord my God,
Thy statutes me Thou teachest,
That I may tell Thy Law abroad,
By which men’s hearts Thou reachest;
Thou mak’st my heart with hope to swell!
Thy Word doth give
Me strength to live;
What Thou commandest, that I tell.

3 Thy servant’s life keep by Thy might,
Grant me to know Thy will aright,
Lest I Thy Law be wronging;
I am a guest in earthly lands;
Hide not from me Thy just commands
For which my soul hath longing.
With vengeance Thou rebuk’st the proud,
Thy good commands despising;
Remove from me reproach’s cloud,
And I, Thy test’ments prizing,
Will keep them, though by princes fought.
Thy Word is e’er
My hope and cheer;
I trust in Thee; forsake me not!

4 My soul cleaves to the dust unheard;
Me quicken, Lord, after Thy Word,
I cry in my dejection;
Therefore instruct me in Thy will,
That I may praise not good for ill,
But make the best selection.
I groan, my heart must faint at length;
From lying ways retrieve me!
And strengthen me with godly strength,
Thy holy blessing give me.
Oh, let me not be put to shame,
Thine be alone
The way I run,
Directed by Thy Law I claim.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Wol denen die on wandel gehn,
Mit gantzen hertzen darnach stehn,
Nach Gotts gesatz zu wandlen,
Und die auff sein gebott han acht,
Schawen daß sie zu tag und nacht
Im nicht zu wider handlen,
Drumb uns an deinem Wort erhalt,
Und uns dem gnad wöllst geben,
Daß nicht das hertz in uns erkalt,
Nach deinem willn zu leben,
Erhalt uns an der reynen lehr,
So sagn wir danck
Unsr leben lang,
Ach HERR verlaß uns nimmermehr.

2 Der mensch seinn weg unstrefflich geht,
Wann Er auff deinn gebotten steht,
Dich sucht von gantzen hertzen:
Wer fest an deinem worte helt,
Den tröststu HERR, daß Er nicht felt
In verdamniß und schmertzen.
Gelobt seistu mein HERR und Gott,
Du lerst mich deine Rechte.
Daß ich erzele dem gebott,
Daß niemandt widerfechte.
Drumb frew ich mich, du bist mein trost,
Dein wort mich frewt,
Mein hertz vernewt,
Und red was du befolhen hast.

3 Erhalt beim leben deinem knecht,
Deinn willn laß mich erkennen recht,
An deim gebott zu hangen:
Auff erden bin ich hie ein gast,
Verbirg nicht was du gbotten hast,
Darnach mein seel verlanget.
Die stoltzen straffstu hie mit raach,
Die dein gebott verachten,
Darumb wend auch von mir die schmach,
Dein zeugniß mög betrachten.
Auch reden Fürsten wider mich,
Dweil ist dein wort,
Mein trost mein hort,
Verlaß mich HERR alleyn auff dich.

4 Mein seel im staub ligt unerhört,
Erquick mich HERR nach deinem wort,
Mein not ich dir erzele:
Drumb mich im besten underweiß,
Daß ich das böß fürs gut nicht preiß,
Von alln das best erwele,
Ich gräm mich, daß mirs hertz verschmacht,
Wend mich von falschen wegen.
Sterck mich mit deinr Göttlichen macht,
Und gönn mir deinen Segen.
Laß mich zu schanden werden  nicht,
Ich hab erwelt,
Mir fürgestelt
Dein Recht, darnach mein leben richt.

No comments: