26 September 2024

Wohl denen, die ohn Wandel gehn (part 2)

Here is the second part of my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Wohl denen, die ohn Wandel gehn” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm CXIX,  Beati immaculati, with title “A psalm of supplication, that God would lead us in His saving Word and grace and curb the enemy.” Waldis composed his hymn with one stanza for every alphabetical section, making 22 stanzas in all. To make it manageable on a daily basis, I have divided into multiple parts (as done by Schütz with Becker’s Psalm CXIX), the second part consisting of stanzas 5–7 (he, waw, zayin). The Ionian melody by Waldis, having the meter 887.887.87.87.84.48 is upbeat and accommodates the longer format well without insipid repetition. The meter is also used for Psalm CIV.

 



5 Teach me Thy statutes constantly,
That till the end I firm may be,
And keep them without turning;
Lead me, O Lord, the even way,
My heart to Thy commandments sway,
All covetousness spurning;
And turn mine eyes lest they should see
Those doctrines which are vanity;
In Thy way quicken me, I pray,
That I may hear Thy Word alway;
Thy Law is always good and true,
Reproach I see.
My Savior be!
Oh, keep me in Thy righteousness.

6 Thy help and wealth of grace, O Lord,
Let be according to Thy Word
Upon my soul abounding.
My mouth ne’er of Thy Word bereave,
That I may fitting answers give
To slanderers surrounding.
I in Thy judgments hopeful stand,
So shall I keep them ever,
Walk joyfully in Thy command,
And let Thy Word be
With kings I’ll hold Thee unashamed,
My hands upraise
In all my ways,
Delighting in Thy Law acclaimed.

7 Keep to Thy servant true Thy Word
On which Thou bidd’st me hope, O Lord,
My comfort in affliction!
The proud have much derided me,
Yet I will not decline from Thee;
Thy Word is my conviction.
With godless men I do not hold,
By whom Thy Law’s forsaken;
When I recall Thy statutes old,
Joy in my heart doth waken,
Within my house I day and night
Thy grace recall,
It helpeth all,
My highest treasure, strength, and might!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

5 Dein Gebot mach mir offenbar,
Daß ichs biß an das end bewar,
Und halts von gantzem gmüte,
Für mich HERR auff den rechten steyg,
Mein hertz zu deinn gebotten neyg,
Vorm geitz mich HERR behüte.
Und wend ab meine augen weit
Von der unnützen lehre,
Erquick mich auff dem weg allzeit,
Daß ich dein Wort stedts höre,
Dein Recht ist lieblich alle zeit,
Ich schew die schmach,
Und deine raach,
Halt mich bei deiner grechtigkeyt.

6 Dein hülff und deiner gnaden hort,
Die laß mir HERR nach deinem wort
Gar reichlich widerfaren,
Dein Wort nimm nicht von meinem mundt,
Daß ich den antwort geben kundt,
Die ir lestern nicht sparen.
Deins gsetzes hat mich HERR keyn heel,
Allweg wil ich es halten.
Frölich wandlen in deim befehl,
Dein Wort der sach lan walten,
Vor Köngen ich mich dein nit schem,
Heb auff mein hend
An allem end,
Groß lust von deinn gebotten nem.

7 Gedenck an dein wort deinem knecht,
Drauff du mich heyssest hoffens schlecht,
Und tröstest im Ellende,
Die stoltzen han irn spot an mir,
Dennoch weich ich nicht HERR von dir,
Zu deinem wort mich wende,
Mit den Gottlosen halt ichs nit,
Die dein gesetz verlassen,
Wann ich gedenck an dein gericht,
Empfind ich trost on massen,
In meinem hauß ich tag und nacht
Denck deiner gnad,
Sie ist mein rath,
Mein höchster schatz, mein sterck und macht.

No comments: