07 October 2023

Thu Rechnung, Rechnung will

Here is my translation of the repentance hymn, “Thu Rechnung, Rechnung will” (Johann Olearius, d. 1684), in NEGB #85 for the Ninth Sunday after Trinity (Gospel: Luke 16:1–9) with melody assignment “O Gott du frommer Gott”; first appearing in the author’s Geistliche Singe-Kunst (Leipzig, 1671) with title “Exhortation from the Gospel.”

 


GIVE thine account! The Lord
Thy reck’ning now desireth;
A full account thy God
Of all thy gifts requireth:
Give thine account! Fear God,
For thou must soon depart;
Give thine account, and let
This thunder stir thy heart.

2 Say: O dear God, what man
Can ever stand before Thee
If Thou wilt judgment speak
In all Thy dreadful glory?
No man in all the world
If Thou contend with him
Can in a thousand times
Give Thee one answer dim.

3 Let justice yield to grace!
Yea, let me find Thy favor,
In mercy me absolve
From sin and misbehavior;
And let Thy Son’s dear blood
From stain my heart set free,
Let all my debt I owe
Dead and forgotten be!

4 Lord, let me in this world
Live to Thy glory solely,
My body and my soul
Devoted to Thee wholly,
Led by Thy Spirit e’er.
Then naught shall be amiss
In my account, and I
Shall enter heav’nly bliss.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Thu rechnung, rechnung will
Gott ernstlich von dir haben,
Thu rechnung, spricht der Herr,
Von allen deinen gaben,
Thu rechnung, fürchte Gott,
Du must sonst plötzlich fort,
Thu rechnung, denke stets
An diese donner-wort.

2 Sprich: lieber Gott! wer kan
Vor deinem thron bestehen,
Wenn du mit deinem knecht
Wilst ins Gerichte gehen?
Weil in der ganzen welt
Zu finden nicht ein mann,
der dir auf tausend nur
Ein wort antworten kan.

3 Laß gnade gehn vor recht,
Ach laß mich gnade finden,
Sprich mich aus gnaden los
Von allen meinen sünden;
Laß deines Sohnes blut
Auch mein herz machen rein,
Laß alle meine schuld
Todt und vergessen seyn.

4 Laß mich in dieser Welt
Nur dir zu Ehren leben,
Laß ja mein Leib und Seel
Dir all zeit seyn ergeben;
Dein Geist regiere mich,
So werd ich wohl bestehn
In meiner Rechnung, und
Zur Himmelsfreud eingehn.

No comments: