30 October 2023

Ich will, o (mein) Jesu dich / und deinen Tod bekennen

Here is my translation of the Communion hymn, “Ich will, o (mein) Jesu dich / und deinen Tod bekennen” (? Johann Samuel Diterich, d. 1797; asc. Peter Busch, d. 1744), in NEGB #113 in 5 stanzas with melody assignment “O Gott, du frommer Gott”; appearing earlier in 8 stanzas in C. G. Fröhlich’s Sammlung Christlicher Gesänge . . . (1783) as well as the “New” Regensburg Gsb of the same year.  The concordance to the Dresden Gsb gives Peter Busch as the author, but does not note “ver[schlimm]besserung” by Diterich (perhaps for lack of space). Since Wetzel does not include it among Busch’s hymns, but Diterich appears to have “improved” other of Busch’s hymns, it is possible, given the sudden dissemination of this hymn in the late 18th c., that this also was part product of Diterich’s pen. But in Diterich’s Gsb für die häusliche Andacht (1787), we find it in quite a different (geared to the individual) form in 7 stanzas, so that our present, congregationally-oriented text must be seen as the more original and the 7-stanza version a revision designed for his domestic hymnal.

 


O JESUS, I would come,
Thee and Thy death confessing.
Oh, kindle all my heart
With love and thanks unceasing!
I come in utter faith
To eat Thy Feast, O God,
I come now to receive
Thy Body and Thy Blood.

2 Let me receive in grace
These treasures of Thy Passion,
With faith’s devout desire
And unto my salvation!
And let this Feast profound
Of Thy great agony,
Yea, of Thy love and truth,
A live memorial be.

3 In love Thou camest, Lord,
To give for an oblation
Thy very life divine
For me and my salvation.
Thou, dying, gavest me
This good all goods above:
Thy Body and Thy Blood,
The gift of perfect love.

4 Oh, how should such great love
Which to Thy death did move Thee
Not every moment move
My soul to seek to love Thee?—
Thee only, Christ my Lord—
With Thee, my Father, One,
Who lov’st me, and forgiv’st
My guilt through Christ Thy Son!

5 O Savior, in return,
All that I have I give Thee,
My body, soul, and life—
All that I am I leave Thee;
Receive it, O my Lord,
For Thine eternal lot,
Since for Thy service I
Have been so dearly bought.

6 Let me my neighbor love,
Thy love to all men showing,
Yea, to mine enemies
Let love be overflowing!
For to one body true
Thou hast us all baptized,
And to one mind us bought
With blood most highly prized.
.
7 We all drink of one Cup,
Thy holy Blood partaking,
We eat one Bread, Thy Flesh,
Remembrance ever making.
God, as the limbs of Christ,
Let us one body be,
And brother-like rejoice
That such we are to Thee.

8 Let us as members e’er
in one great body living,
In perfect unity
For heaven e’er be striving!
From this thy feast bestow
The will and strength to run,
And blessedness some day
When pilgrim days are done.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ich will, o Jesu, dich [Ich will, mein Jesu…]
und deinen Tod bekennen.
O laß mein ganzes Herz
von Dank und Lieb entbrennen!
Ich komme glaubensvoll
mich deinem Mahl zu nahn;
ich will jetzt deinen Leib,
ich will dein Blut empfahn.

2 Laß diese Schätze mich
mit innigem Verlangen
von deiner Gnade nun
zu meinem Heil empfangen!
Laß mir dies hohe Mahl
von deiner Angst und Pein,
von deiner Lieb und Treu
ein rührend Denkmal sein!

3 Aus Liebe kamst du, Herr,
sogar dein theures Leben
für meine Seligkeit
zum OPfer darzugeben.
Du starbst, und schenkest mir
ein unschätzbares Gut
aus Liebe deinen Leib,
aus Liebe selbst dein Blut.

4 Ach, möcht ich dich dafür
auch wieder herzlich lieben,
und jede Stunde mich
nur dich zu lieben, üben1
Dich nur un Vater dich,
daß du so sehr mich liebst,
und meine Schulden mir
durch deinen Sohn vergiebst!

5 Dir, Heiland, will ich mich,
dir Seele, Leib und Leben,
und alles, was ich bin,
zum Opfer wiedergeben.
Nimm alles, o mein Herr,
zum Eigenthume hin,
der ich so theuer dir
zum Dienst erkaufet bin.

6 Laß gleiche Liebe mich
an meinem Nächsten üben!
Laß mich, wie du mich liebst,
selbst meine Feinde lieben!
Du hast uns alle ja
zu einem Leib getauft,
uns alle durch dein Blut
zu einem Sinn erkauft.

7 Wir trinken einen Kelch,
dein heilig Blut; wir essen
auch nur ein Brot, dein Fleisch.
Das laß uns nie vergessen!
Laß, Gott, uns einen Leib,
und Christi Glieder sein,
und, daß wirs sind vor dir,
auch brüderlich uns freun!

8 Laß stets als Glieder uns
an einem Leibe leben,
und so vereinigt uns
nach deinem Himmel streben!
Gieb dazu durch dein Mahl
uns allen Lust und Kraft,
und einst die Seligkeit
nach unsrer Pilgrimschaft!







No comments: