06 March 2012

Nach deiner Güt erbarm dich mein

As part of a series looking at the Miserere (Ps. 51) in German hymnody, here is my translation of the hymn “Nach deiner Güt erbarm dich mein” (B. Waldis, 1553). This was orignally published for Burkhard Waldis’ Psalter (Der Psalter in newe Gesangsweise gebracht), consisting of practically all original lyrics and compositions, most of which the so-called “Reformer of Riga” probably wrote in prison for his work against the Augsburg Confession. Originally a monk in service of Rome, he was converted to the Lutheran teachings during this pivotal time in his life. As Gustav Horn notes, Waldis followed Luther’s text closely, and more than others at his time was careful to match the stresses of German to the musical accent. The meter matches “Mag ich Unglück nit widerstahn,” on which the text was therefore likely modeled. The melody I reproduce from Kümmerle. More cheerful than “Mag ich Unglück,” it reflects a heavier emphasis, I think, on the bold assurance of divine pardon in the Messiah and the notes of joy and gladness dispersed throughout the text.



HAVE MERCY in Thy love, O Lord,
Thy grace afford,
Do Thou my sins forgive me.
According to Thy kindness great,
For I regret,
And feel them, and they grieve me.
Yea, wash Thou me; against but Thee
O God, is my transgression,
My evil conversation.

2. That Thou, Lord, might be ever just,
When speak Thou dost
And clear when judgment showest,
Though Thou take vengeance on me now,
Yet still art Thou
Lord, right in all Thou doest.
Shaped thoroughly in sin was I,
Me wrath and guilt did smother,
Conceived within my mother.

3. But Thou desirest what is true,
Which may Thou do!
Grant me to know it wholly,
Which else to flesh and blood lies closed,
Man’s not disposed
To grasp Thy promise solely.
Blot out and clean my stain of sin,
Thy grace alone amends me;
I’m clean if Thou but cleanse me.

4. Thy joy and bliss’s voice impart,
Lest e’er my heart
For grief should be despairing.
These failing bones, which broken lie
With joy supply,
What Thou didst break repairing.
My guilt by grace do Thou efface,
And from my sins be turning
Thy wrath and judgment burning.

5. A clean heart, Lord, create in me,
That looks to Thee,
In faith Thy face beholding,
From which, O cast me not away,
Nor let, I pray,
Thy Spirit pure be going.
Grant hope and joy in each annoy,
Thy help sustain forever,
Thy Spirit fail mine never.

6. Transgressors I, O Lord my God,
Will teach Thy road,
Thy precepts undistorted,
Then will the sinner wiser be
And unto Thee
From sin and shame converted.
Save me for good from guilt of blood,
Which else to hell would send me,
Didst Thou not save and mend me.

7. Thou art my Savior, God, and Lord,
My tongue, O Word,
Shall sing Thy justice ever;
Lord, open Thou my lips, I pray,
My mouth shall say
Thy praise and works of favor.
Thy heart doth prize no sacrifice
As man is wont to leave Thee.
For else would I it give Thee.

8. Thou dost an sacrifice ordain,
Desiring fain
A humble spirit solely:
In grace Thou wilt give no despite
To hearts contrite
To broken hearts and lowly.
Than bulls more dear Thou count’st us here,
When we Thy Word are hearing,
And turn from sin and erring.

9. Do good to Zion, Thy dear fold,
In love uphold
And build Thy Salem stronger,
Thy Word in Thy one Spirit be
Spread constantly,
That we may trust Thee longer,
And all may bring that offering
Of just and right behavior,
To Thee a pleasing savor,

Translation © Matthew Carver, 2012.

GERMAN
1. Nach deiner Güt erbarm dich mein,
wollst gnädig sein,
vergib mir meine Sünde
Nach deiner großn Barmherzigkeit,
sie sind mir leid
weil ichs in mir empfinde,
drum mach mich rein, vor dir allein
hab ich o Gott mißhandelt,
und nicht nach dir gewandelt.

2. Auf daß du, Herr, behaltest recht,
und dich dein Knecht
nicht straf in deinen Worten,
ob du gleich über mich nimmst Rach,
bleibst du dennoch
gerecht an allen Orten.
Ich bin in Sünd von ganzem Grund
von Mutterleib geboren,
in Straf und Gottes Zoren.

3. Du aber hast zur Wahrheit Lust,
dieselbig tustt,
auch deinem Knecht zu wissen,
denn Fleisch und Blut versteht das nicht,
ist nicht gerichtt
auf dein Zusag geflissen,
sprich du mich los von Sünden groß,
das kannst du, Herr, alleine,
wash mich, so werd ich reine.

4. Laß mich hören dein Wonn und FReud
aufdaß vor Leid
mein Herz nicht muß verzagen,
daß sich freuen und fröhlich sein
die müden Bein
die du, Herr, hast zerschlagen;
vertilg aus Gnad mein Missetat,
von meiner Sünd abkehre
deinn Zorn und Urtheil schwere.

5. Schaff, Herr, in mir ein reines Herz,
und wends herwärts
zu dir im rechten Glauben,
verwürf mich nicht von deim Angsicht,
wollst mich auch nicht
deins heilgen Geists berauben;
Trost, Freudigkeit in allem Leid,
dein Hülf woll mich erhalten,
und dein Geist meienr walten.

6. Die Sünder will ich dein Gebot,
O Herre Gott,
und deine Wege lehren,
daß sich die Übertreter sölln
zu dir recht stelln,
von ihrer Sünd bekehren;
nimm mich zu Huld von der Blutschuld,
die mich zur Höll will drücken,
wo du nicht würdst erquicken.

7. Du bist mein Heiland, Gott und Hort;
mein Zung, mein Wort,
soll dein Grechtigkeit preisen,
Tu auf mein Lippen und meinn Mund,
daß er verkündt,
was du mir tust beweisen.
Zum Opfer gut hast du keinn Mut,
die man dir pflegt zu heben,
sonst wollst ich dirs wohl geben.

8. Das Opfer hast uns fürgestellt,
welchs dir gefällt:
der Geist geängstt mit Schmerzen;
verwirsfst auch nicht nach deiner Güt
ein traurigs Gmüt,
und die zerschlagnen Herzen,
das gilt vor dir mehr denn die Stier,
wann wir auf dein Wort hören,
und uns von Sünden kehren.

9. Tu wohl an Zion deiner Gmein,
nach Gnaden dein,
Jerusalem aufbaue,
dein Wort im Geist der Einigkeit
werd ausgebreitt,
daß man dir ganz vertraue;
Daß vor dir sind die Opfer rein,
welch du dir läßst gefallen
von deinen Dienern allen.

10. Dem Vater, Gott im höchsten Tron,
der uns seinn Sohn
für unser Sünd hat geben,
dem danken wir zu aller Frist,
und Jesu Christ,
durch den wir han das Leben,
dem heilgen Geist, der allermeist
am Wort Gotts uns erhaltet,
und unser Sachen waltet.

No comments: