20 October 2024

Ich dank dir, Herr, für deine Ehr

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Ich dank dir, Herr, für deine Ehr” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm XXX, Exaltabo te Deus, with title “Psalm of thanksgiving that God would keep us alive and preserve us from bodily sickness.” The Ionian melody by Waldis follows the meter 447.447.447.44.77 (instead of which “Christ unser Herr zum Jordan kam” is indicated a handwritten alternate melody in the margin of the copy at the Wolffenbüttel library). I give the melody transposed down somewhat.

 


 

I THANK Thee, Lord, / who dost afford
To me exalted glory,
Repaying those / who are my foes,
Deny’st them vict’ry o’er me.
I cry to Thee, / Thou healest me,
And out of hell hast brought me,
To which Thou hast / th’ ungodly cast
With all their friends who fought me,
With all their friends who fought me.

2 My thanks and praise / for all my days
To God, the ever reigning,
Who did me save / from hell and grave
My life and health sustaining.
Though into sin / God’s own fall in,
He to His grace inviteth;
Joy brings relief / soon after grief,
The Lord in life delighteth,
The Lord in life delighteth.

3 Good life I had, / my heart was glad,
And all my strength was provèd,
My heart burst forth / with thoughts of earth:
I never shall be movèd!
My mountain strong / stands all life long,
I shall not be o’ertaken!
Then hid’st Thou soon / Thy Spirit’s boon,
Then was my heart much shaken,
Then was my heart much shaken!

4 To give Thee praise / O Lord, always
Shall for my good avail me.
When I must die / and hence must fly,
My flesh and blood must fail me.
The dust and rot / shall thank Thee not,
Therefore, O Lord, renew me,
That I may give / Thee while I live
Due thanks for my salvation,
Due thanks for my salvation.

5 I beg of Thee, / grant grace to me
Nor mercy, Lord, deny me!
My grief that hurt / Thou didst convert
And with glad songs supply me;
Thy joyful Word / my heart did gird,
And dressed me in Thy favor;
Therefore I will / be never still,
But give Thee thanks forever,
But give Thee thanks forever.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ich danck dir HERR / für deine Ehr,
Und sol mich nimmer rewen,
Meinr feinde rach / gibstus nit nach,
Sich uber mich zu frewen,
Ich ruff zu stund, / machst mich gesundt,
Und fürst mich aus der hellen,
Darinn zu spott, / die gotloß rott,
Hinfarn mit irn gesellen,
Hinfarn mit irn gesellen.

2 Drumb sag ich danck / mein leben lang,
Und laß den HERREN walten,
Der mich so schnell / fürt aus der hell,
Beim leben zu erhalten,
Ob Gottes kind / schon falln in Sünd,
So ists doch bald vergeben,
Es kompt die freud / bald nach dem leyd,
Der HERR hat lust zum leben,
Der HERR hat lust zum leben.

3 Da mirs wol gieng / vil guts empfieng,
All meine macht herwider,
Bald ausher brach / mein hertz, und sprach:
Ich lig nit mehr darnider,
Fest ist mein berg / mit macht und sterck,
Mich wirt kein unfal decken,
Bald zohstu ab / deins geystes gab,
Da must mein hertz erschrecken.
Da must mein hertz erschrecken.

4 Daß ich dir Herr / sag lob und ehr,
Das kompt mir alls zu gute,
Wann ich todt bin / und fahr dahin,
Was hilfft dann fleysch und blute?
Der staub und stanck / sagt dir nit danck,
Drumb mich alhie vernewe,
Das ich dir geb / weil ich hie leb
Dein Ehr in aller trewe,
Dein Ehr in aller trewe.

5 Ich flehe vor dir / biß gnedig mir,
Dein huld wöllst zu mir neygen,
Du hast mein leyd / und trawrigkeyt
Verwandelt in einn reygen,
Mit freud und zir / meins hertzens gir,
Seliglich thust begaben,
Drumb ich auch wil / nit schweigen still,
Dich Ewiglich zu loben,
Dich Ewiglich zu loben.


No comments: