01 October 2024

Wohl denen, die ohn Wandel gehn (part 7)

Here is the seventh and final part of my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Wohl denen, die ohn Wandel gehn” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm CXIX,  Beati immaculati, with title “A psalm of supplication, that God would lead us in His saving Word and grace and curb the enemy.” Waldis composed his hymn with one stanza for every alphabetical section, making 22 stanzas in all. To make it manageable on a daily basis, I have divided into multiple parts (as done by Schütz with Becker’s Psalm CXIX), the seventh part consisting of stanzas 17–19 (resh, shin, taw). The Ionian melody by Waldis, having the meter 887.887.87.87.84.48 is upbeat and accommodates the longer format well without insipid repetition. The meter is also used for Psalm CIV.



20 See my affliction, rescue me,
Thy law I keep in memory,
Therefore be my defender,
Salvation flees the wicked e’er,
They do not seek Thy statutes fair,
Thy grace they
Great are Thy tender mercies, Lord,
After Thy laws restore me,
I walk not with the wicked horde,
Who hurt me and abhor me
And fight Thy Word to my dismay.
Thy Word I love,
It shall not move,
It is my rock of grace for aye.

21 The princes hunt me causelessly,
But my heart stands in fear of Thee,
All in Thy Word delighting
As in a great and precious spoil.
I hate all lies, and men of guile.
And love Thy Law
I praise Thee seven times a day,
Thy righteousness I treasure;
For Thy salvation wait I aye,
Till I have done Thy pleasure.
He who Thy Word takes for his guide,
Shall find and win
Great joy therein,
And thence shall never turn aside.

22 Lord, let my cry not go unheard,
Instruct me after Thy true Word,
And I will praise Thee ever.
Of Thee my tongue shall witness give,
Tell of Thy Law to all that live,
Thy gracious gifts adoring.
Thy godly hand let help bestow,
My soul do Thou enliven,
Thy Word with joy make me to know,
As Thou command hast given.
I as a sheep astray was lured;
Thy servant seek,
Thy comforts speak,
That I may not forget Thy Word!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

20 Sih mein Ellend und rette mich,
Dann deins gesetzs vergeß ich nicht,
Drumb für mir meine sachen:
Das heyl ist vonn Gottlosen ferr,
Sie achten deine Recht nicht mehr,
Und deine gnad verlachen.
HERR, dein barmhertzigkeyt ist groß≤
Erquick mich nach dem Rechten.
Ich bin nicht der verächter gnoß,
Die dein wort widerfechten.
Ich sih irn spot, und thut mir weh,
Ich lieb dein wort,
Der gnadenhort,
Hilff daß ich Ewig dran besteh.

21 Fürsten umbsunst vervolgen mich,
Aber mein hertz das förchtet sich,
Ubr deim wort sichs ergetze,
Als uber einer grossen beut,
Ich hass lügen, und falsche leut,
Und liebe dein gesetze.
Des tags lob ich dich siben mal,
Umb deynr grechtigkeyt willen.
Auff dein hyel ich stedts warten sol,
Biß ich deinn willn erfülle.
Wer sich nach deinen worten richt,
Der wirt daran
Groß freude han,
Und wirt davon abweichen nicht.

22 HERR Laß mein klag nicht unerhort,
Underweiß mich nach deinem wort,
So wil ich dich stedts loben:
Von dir sol zeugen meine zung,
Von deim gebot bei alt und jung,
Und preisen deine gaben,
Laß mir beistehn dein Göttlich handt,
Daß meine seel mög leben,
Dein wort mit freuden mach bekandt,
Wie du befehl hast geben.
Wie ein schaff geh ich im ellend
Such deinen knecht,
Hilff mir zurecht,
Das ich mich von deim wort nicht wend.







No comments: