23 December 2010

Allein nach der Herr Jesu Christ verlanget mich

Here is my translation of the prayer hymn, "Allein nach dir, Herr Jesu Christ, verlanget mich" (N. Selneccer, ?1568), not to be confused with "Allein zu dir." The hymn was written in one long, interestingly structured stanza (with many repeats) to be sung in Passiontide, especially Holy Week. It is even listed in Bach's notebook, suggesting that he planned to compose a cantata on it (none exists, unfortunately). I include a translation of the original stanza, and the notation as given in Das Deutsche Kirchenlied, III, 2. Special thanks to Dr. J. Herl for locating it.


ALONE for Thee, Lord :: alone for Thee, Lord::
Jesus Christ, I'm longing, :: Lord Jesus Christ, I am longing ::
While here on earth ::while here on earth::
Within this world I wander.
Alone in Thee, Lord ::alone in Thee, Lord::
Jesus Christ, I'm trusting ::Lord Jesus Christ, I am trusting
With hope assured ::with hope assured::
That heav’n awaits me yonder,
Won by Thy merit and ::won by Thy merit and:: Thy bloody passion,
This I inherit for salvation.
O Lamb of God, hear ::O Lamb of God, hear:: this my heartfelt crying,
As I look to heaven, sighing ::as I look to heaven, sighing::
Lord God, Thy Comforter now send me,
In grief Thine aid lend me,
Till death, when I am sleeping,
My spirit in Thy keeping.
To Thee my soul have I commended
In life, and when ended,
Oh Lord Jesus, Christ, my soul keep safe forever,—
Keep it safe forever.

Translation © Matthew Carver, 2010.

GERMAN
Allein nach dir, Herr :/: Jesu Christ, verlangt mich, :/: [Herr Jesu Christ, verlanget mich]
Weil ich hie leb, :/: in dieser Welt auf Erden.
Allein an dich Herr, :/: Jesu Christe, glaub ich, :/: [Herr Jesu Christe, glaube ich]
hoffend gewiß, :/:, der Himmel soll mein werden,
den du erworben hast :/: mit deinem Blute,
am Kreuz gestorben mir zu gute.
O du Lamm Gottes, :/: erhör mein herzlichs Flehen;
Mein Augen gen Himmel sehen. :/:
Tröst mich mit deinem Geist, O Herre Gott,
hilf mir in meiner Noth
wann ich von hinnen fahre;
meine Seele wöllst du bewahren,
dann in dem Tod und auch im Leben
hab ich mich dir ergeben.
O Herr Jesu Christe, nimm mein Seel in deine Hände,
Nimms in deine Hände.

No comments: