02 October 2026

Nun sich die Nacht geendet hat / und scheint die Sonne drauf

Here is my translation of the hymn, “Nun sich die Nacht geendet hat / und scheint die Sonne drauf” (E. Neumeister, 1710), from the author’s Zugang zum Gnadenstuhl, appointed for morning devotions on Friday.


Mel.: Nun sich der Tag geendet hat, etc.;

Or: Lobt Gott, ihr Christen, allzugleich.





NOW that the night hath reached her end,

And sunlight doth appear,

I from my bed of slumber wend

In health and happy cheer.


2 My God, I thank Thee, who to me

Hast done such good before

And I rejoice that I from Thee

Have hope of blessings more.


3 Protect me also through this day

As Thou didst in the night,

That in Thy grace I always may

Contentment find, and light.


4 Oh, not this day nor any day

To Satan pow’r allot,

That I may not to heart’s dismay

Nor to offense be brought!


5 My debt of sins too loud reprove,

I own with contrite heart;

Yet think upon Thy tender love,

That Thou my Father art.


6 What condemnation can there be?

My Jesus gives His blood

A full atonement price for me,

And makes the evil good.


7 Hereat I gladly go, and ask

God’s help, my work to do;

With God my calling and my task

In blessing thus pursue.


8  To Thee my mind and strength I lend,

With all that mine I call,

And to Thy fav’ring eye commend

My neighbor’s health and all.


9 But if this day my final be,

Oh, bless my mortal road,

My spirit I commend to Thee,

O Lord, Thou faithful God!


Translation © 2026 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN

Nun sich die Nacht geendet hat,

und scheint die Sonne drauf,

steh ich von meiner Lagerstatt

gesund und fröhlich auf.


2 Mein Gott, ich danke, daß du mir

so sehr viel Guts gethan;

und freue mich, daß ich von dir

mehr Segen hoffen kann.


3 Beschütze mich auch diesen Tag,

wies in der Nacht geschehn,

damit ich mein Vergnügen mag

an deiner Gnade sehn.


4 Ach laß nur heut und allezeit

dem Satan keine Macht:

so werd ich nicht in Herzeleid

und Ärgerniß gebracht.


5 Verklagt mich ja der Sünden Schuld,

die nicht zu leugnen ist,

so denke doch an deine Huld,

daß du mein Vater bist.


6 Was kann an mir verdammlich sein?

Mein Jesus setzt sein Blut

für mich zur vollen Zahlung ein,

und macht das Böse gut.


7 Drauf nehm ich freudig vor die Hand,

was mir zu thun gebührt.

Mit Gott wird mein Beruf und Stand

nach Wunsche fortgeführt.


8 Nun dir ergeb ich Muth und Blut

mit allem, was nur mein;

auch meines Nächsten Leib und Gut

laß dir befohlen sein.


9 Wenn dieser Tag mein letzter heißt,

so segne meinen Tod:

Denn dir befehl ich meinen Geist,

Herr, du getreuer Gott!

No comments: