01 May 2024

Erhör mich, wenn ich ruff zu dir

 Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Erhör mich, wenn ich ruff zu dir” (Cornelius Becker, 1604), based on Psalm IV, Cum invocarem, for which the melody “In dich hab ich gehoffet Herr” is normally appointed.

 


OH, hear me when I call to Thee,
God, who in grace forgivest me
My guilt and my transgression!
In time of need
Grant help with speed,
Thy mercy, and salvation!

2 Dear sirs, why do you thusly yearn
My glory into shame to turn?
The truth gives you no pleasure,
But vanity
And lies do ye
hold as your dearest treasure.

3 But know and see how God doth lead
His saints in wondrous ways indeed,
To glory through all trials,
Nor will despise
My longing sighs—
His heart upon them smiles.

4 Affliction moves the flesh to wrath,
A Christian yet resists that path,
His soul in patience keeping,
He owns his guilt,
Says, “God, Thou wilt!”
And naught disturbs his sleeping.

5 The worldlings proudly say, “What then?
Shall he show what is good for men,
And teach the truth incessant?”
They trust their ways,
And blindly praise
Long use and life complacent.

6 But Thou, O Lord, lift up Thy face
Upon us with Thy light of grace,
And fill my heart with pleasure;
Then wealth is mine,
Though corn and wine
Be theirs in plenteous measure!

7 Thus with my God I lay me down
And sleep in peace, for God, my Crown,
Doth watch both late and early
And night and day
Defends my way,
That I may dwell securely.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
1.  Erhör mich, wenn ich ruff zu dir/
HErr Gott, der du aus Gnaden mir/
vergibst all meine Sünde/
schaffst Hülff und Rath
in Angst und Noth/
hülff HErr laß mich Gnad finden.

2.  Ihr lieben Herrn/ was macht ihr doch/
Daß ihr mich ſchend am Ehren hoch/
Wahrheit wolt ihr nicht leiden/
Die Eytelkeit
Und Lügen beyd/
Sind ewres Hertzens Freude.

3.  Erkennet doch und nehmet war/
Wie Gott ſein Heilgen wunderbar
Durch Schmach zu Ehren führet/
Mein ſehnlich Bitt
Verſchmet er nit/
Sein trewes Hertz ſie rühret.

4.  Trübſal das Fleiſch zu Zorn bewegt/
Ein Chriſt ſich doch darwider legt/
Faſſt in Gedult ſein Seele/
Erkend ſein Schuld/
Trawt Gottes Huld/
So bringts ihm wenigr Quele.

5.  Was? Sprechen die Weltkinder frey/
Solt uns der lehren, was gut ſey?
Und andern Weiſung geben?
Wir wiſſens auch/
Aus langem Brauch/
Preiſen ein ſicher Leben.

6.  Du aber, HERR dein Angeſicht/
Übr uns erheb mit hellem Liecht/
Erfrew mein Hertz in Gnaden/
So bin ich reich
Ob jene gleich/
Wein und Korn vollauff haben.

7.  Mit meinem Gott geh ich zur Ruh/
Und thu in Fried mein Augen zu/
Denn Gott vons Himmels Throne/
Über mich wacht
Bey Tag/ bey Nacht/
Schafft/ daß ich ſicher wohne.


No comments: