07 May 2024

Herr Gott, erhör die Grechtigkeit

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Herr Gott, erhör die Grechtigkeit” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm 17, Exaudi Domine justitiam, with melody assignment “Am Wasserflüssen Babylon.” Vierling writes, “It is a psalm of supplication lamenting the false teachers and soft ‘saints’ who with the doctrines and works of men lead others away from the Word of God, and persecute the right doctrine, and even hate the cross of Christ, seeking with their doctrines and works only to have goods, honor, and peace here on earth, nor to suffer nor want a thing. It pertains to the Second and Third Commandment, and the First Petition, that His Word and Name may be hallowed.”

 


HEAR, Lord my God, the righteousness
Which is my heart’s foundation;
Receive with speed in my distress
My heartfelt supplication!
My sentence do Thyself impart;
Behold what’s just. Thou prov’st mine heart,
To see if I receive Thee;
Thou triest me and findest naught,
My mouth I’ve purposed, as I ought,
That it may never leave Thee.

2 Dear heart, thy word—men’s teaching vain—
I hate with ardor glowing,
Which doth my soul but fill with pain.
O Lord, hold up my going
And lead me in Thy righteous path,
To follow Thy commands in faith,
Not slipping nor yet straying;
With all my heart I call on Thee,
Lord God, incline Thine ear to me,
And hear my fervent praying!

3 Show me Thy wondrous love and grace,
O kind and gracious Savior,
Defend me from Thine enemies,
That they may harm me never.
Keep as the apple of Thine eye
My soul from danger, let me lie
Beneath thy wings to shade me,
Nor let the wicked horde oppress
My soul in anguish and distress,
Who wickedly upbraid me.

4 They gather round with mighty force,
Their mouth with pride offendeth;
They compass all our earthly course,
Their eye our ways attendeth.
They gladly would cause us dismay,
Like lions greedy of their prey
And in their caverns lurking.
Arise, O Lord, and cast them down,
My soul deliver, God my Crown,
From those such evil working!

5 O Lord, they all are in Thine hand—
The men this world indwelling,
Which in their portion proudly stand,
Their bellies filled to swelling
With Thy hid treasure, and whose gold
Leaves all their children proud and bold,
And here they suffer never;
But I in righteousness will see
Thy face, O Lord, when I, like Thee,
Awake to joy forever.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
HErr Gott, erhör die Grechtigkeit,
Darauf mein Hertz bestehet,
Vernim mein Schreyen, hilff bey Zeit,
Mein G'bet von Herzen gehet.,
Sprich du HErr selbst in meiner Sach,
Und schau aufs Recht, du fragst darnach,
Wies Hertz gegn dir sich gleiche,
Du leuterst mich und findest nichts,
Denn ich mein Sach dahin gericht,
Daß mein Mund nicht abweiche.

2 Dein Wort mein Hertz, drumb Menschen Lehr,
mit rechtem Ernst ich hasse :,:
denn sie die Seele verletztet sehr.,
Leit mich, Herr, deine Strasse,
das ich auff rechtem Wege geh,
allzeit in deinn Geboten steh,
und meine Tritt nicht gleiten,,
Ich ruf von Hertzen Grund zu dir,
HErr Gott, dein Ohr neig her zu mir,
erhör mein Bitt bey Zeiten.

3 Beweiß dein wunderliche Güt,
O Heyland gros von Gnaden :,:
Für deinen Feinden mich behüt,
daß sie mir nicht thun Schaden.,
Wie dein Augapffel mich bewahr,
daß ich sicher für aller Gfahr,
unter deinn Flügeln bleibe,
und mir nicht schad der Bösen Rott,
die meine Seel in Angst und Noth,
so gerne wolten treiben.

4 Zusammen halten sie mit Macht,
Ihr Mund ist stoltz von Worten :,:
Ihr Augen auff uns geben acht,
zu ringst an allen Orten.,
Zu Boden sie uns rissen gern,
wie Löwen, so des Raubs begern,
und lauren in den Hölen.
HERR mach dich auff thu wiederstand,
denn göttlich Macht von ihrer Hand,
errett mein arme Seele.

5 Sie sind ja all in deiner Macht,
Die Menschenkind auff Erden :,:
Die auff ihr Theil triben gros Pracht,
ihr Bäuch gefüllet werden,
Mit deinem Schatz, und Macht ihr gut,
Ihrn Jungen auch ein stoltzen Muth,
dens geht nach ihrem Willen.
Ich aber wil in Gerechtigkeit,
dein Antlitz schawn, wann ich zur Frewd,
wach nach deinem Bilde.

No comments: