16 August 2022

Herzlich lieb hab ich dich, mein Gott

Here is my translation of the Trinitarian trust and prayer hymn, “Herzlich lieb hab ich dich, mein Gott” (Johann Walter, d. 1570), not to be confused with Martin Schalling’s later but more popular hymn “Herzlich lieb hab ich dich, o Herr.” Our hymn appears in the Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch (Wisconsin Synod) #62, appointed to be sung to “Durch Adams Fall ist ganz verderbt.” A different, more complex choral melody by Walther is found in his collection of settings, Das Christlich Kinderlied . . . (1566).



 

MY God, I love Thee heartily,
My Hope when foes surround me,
My Savior in necessity,
My steady Rock to ground me.
My Strength and Fortress undeterred,
My Lair to hide me surely,
My shield and shelter is Thy Word,
Possessed in faith securely.

2 God is my Life and Savior true,
My Horn of exultation,
His Word’s my strength each day anew,
My hope’s most sure foundation.
God is my Prize and Light of faith,
My Help and Comfort ever,
My heart’s Delight and Trust till death;
I scorn all worldly favor.

3 Lord God, assist me, that I might
Sincerely call Thee Father,
And always know in faith aright
Christ, Thy dear Son, my Brother,
Whose blood from death delivered me,
And brought me life eternal!
Lord Jesus, grant me constantly
Thy help and balm supernal.

4 God, Holy Ghost, thy grace bestow
This Word to keep and cherish,
Let faith not be but empty show,
Nor love grow cold and perish;
O God, the Holy Trinity,
Thy pow’r let not forsake me,
Confirm my feeble flesh when I
Must from this life betake me.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Herzlich lieb hab ich dich, mein Gott,
mein Hort, auf den ich traue,
und mein Erretter in der Not,
mein Fels, darauf ich baue.
Mein Stärk und Burg allein du bist,
darauf ich mich verlasse;
mein Schild und Schutz dein Wort mir ist,
welchs ich im Glauben fasse.

2 Gott ist mein Heil und Lebenskraft,
mein Horn, daruaf ich trotze,
sein Gnadenwort mein Stärk und Saft;
mein Hoffnung ich drauf setze.
Gott ist mein Schatz und Glaubenslicht,
mein Hülf und Trost alleine,
meins Herzen Freud und Zuversicht;
der Welt Gunst acht ich kleine.

3 Herr Gott, hilf mir, daß ich dich kann
von Herzen Vater nennen,
und Christum, deinen lieben Sohn,
im Glauben recht erkennen,
daß sein Blut mich vom Tod erlöst,
mir bracht das ewig Leben.
Herr Jesu Christ, dein Hülf und Trost
mir allzeit wollest geben.

4 Gott heilger Geist, dein Gnad verleih,
daß ich dies Wort behalte,
daß mein Glaub nicht sei Heuchelei,
die Lieb auch nicht erkalte.
Gott, du heilge Dreifaltigkeit,
dein Kraft mich wöll bewahren,
und stärk meins Fleisches Blödigkeit,
wenn ich von hinn soll fahren.



 

No comments: