02 September 2022

Also hat Gott die Welt geliebet

Here is my translation of the Confession & Justification hymn, “Also hat Gott die Welt geliebet” (Erdmann Neumeister, 1718), one of numerous hymns based on John 3:16. It appears in Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #94. According to fischer, the hymn comes from the author’s Evangelischer Nachklang II, p. 234, and later appears in his Psalmen und Lobgesänge (Hamburg, 1755) in only 6 stanzas. The appointed melody is “Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten.”



 

GOD loved the world so that He gave it
His one and only Child and Heir
To reconcile the world and save it,
Else were damnation all its share;
He that believes is clean from sin
And to God’s heritage brought in!

2 God’s loved me too, nor will deceive me:
He loves me still as e’er before.
Although my conscience may aggrieve me,
Oh, this doth gladden me the more:
I have Christ Jesus’ precious blood,
That makes my wicked conscience good!

3 My faithful God recalls no longer
The sins wrought in my youthful day,
When vice’s hold on me was stronger,
And I forsook the virtuous way;
Yet for it all my heart repents,
Mercy! I pray in penitence.

4 If judgment God should wish to render,
I then must perish and be lost;
How could I stand as His offender?
All that is in me is unjust;
Yet to this confidence I cleave:
He is not damned who doth believe.

5 God’s anger burns at each transgression
Committed on life’s winding road;
Yet He will also grant remission—
Remorse and faith are dear to God;
Sin, death, and chast’ning may be great,
Yet doth His grace predominate.

6 Though conscience, hell, and devil, shouting,
Hold up my vast iniquity,
My heart is free from hint of doubting,
And saith: God shall not deal with me
As I deserve; thy sins are paid,
Since Christ hath full atonement made.

7 Upon this faith I will be living,
On this will die—naught else avails!
Christ Jesus will to me be giving
All things wherein my weakness fails;
I nothing have, and none but He
My All in all shall ever be.

8 Rest for my conscience thus I borrow,
Thus is my spirit bold and bright;
Thus shall God sweeten every sorrow,
Thus is my end and all set right;
Here’s balm and fire to cheer the heart:
From Jesus I will ne’er depart.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Also hat Gott die Welt geliebet,
daß er sein eingebornes Kind
für alle zur Versöhnung giebet,
Die der Verdammniß schuldig sind.
Wer glaubt der soll von Sünden rein
und jenes Lebens Erbe sein.

2 Also hat Gott auch mich geliebet,
und liebt mich diese Stunde noch.
Ob mein Gewissen mich betrübet,
o! so erfreut mich dieses doch:
ich habe Christi theures Blut,
das macht mein bös gewissen gut.

3 Ich weiß, der Sünden meiner Jugend
gedenkt mein frommer Gott nicht mehr.
Ach! ich verließ den Weg der Tugend,
und liebte schnöde Laster sehr;
doch ist mir Alles herzlich leid,
und suche nun Barmherzigkeit.

4 Zwar, will Gott ins Gerichte gehen,
so bin ich ein verlorner Knecht.
Wie könnt ich doch vor ihm bestehen?
An mir ist Alles ungerecht;
doch das ist meine Zuversicht:
wer glaubet, der wird nicht gericht't.

5 Gott zürnet wider alle Sünden,
die man die Lebenszeit gethan;
doch kann man auch Vergebung finden,
Gott stehet Reu und Glauben an.
Stürmt Sünde, Tod und Strafe sehr,
ist doch die Gnade mächtiger.

6 Wirft mein Gewissen, Höll und Teufel
mir immer meine Gräuel für:
mein Herz ist frei von allem Zweifel,
und spricht: Gott! handelt nicht mit mir
nach meiner Sünd und Missethat,
weil Christus sie gebüßet hat.

7 Auf diesen Glauben will ich leben,
so sterb ich auch, und anders nicht.
Mein Jesus wird mir Alles geben,
was meiner Schwachheit noch gebricht.
Ich habe nichts: doch er allein
soll mir in Allem Alles sein.

8 So ruhet mein erschreckt Gewissen,
so hat mein Geist getrosten Muth;
so wird Gott alles Leid versüßen,
so wird mein End und Alles gut:
das ist mein Trost und Freudenlicht:
ich lasse meinen Jesum nicht.

No comments: