02 February 2020

Herr Jesu Christe, Gottes Sohn, ich red mit dir

Here is my translation of “Herr Jesu Christe, Gottes Sohn, ich red mit dir” (17th c.), a prayer hymn for the feast of the Purification, based on the song of Simeon, and attributed to Sigismund von Birken in most hymnals. In the earliest instance I could discover, the Lüneburgisches Gesangbuch (1694) it is attributed to Anonymous. The appointed melody is “Ich hab mein Sach Gott heimgestellt.”




LORD Jesus Christ, God’s only Son,
I speak to Thee like Simeon:
How long my faith has longed to see
The sight of Thee,
And to embrace Thy majesty!

2. For lo, I have these many years
Passed by in idle toils and tears,
Now by my sins I am oppressed,
And have no rest,
Sin’s penalty weighs on my breast.

3 Each day Thou many dost unbind,
That in God’s bosom they may find
Sweet sleep that ne’er will end—
When wilt Thou send
Thy heavn’ly missive here to wend?

4 Thine angel then, not deathly throes,
Will take me from all present woes;
For when my limbs are in the earth,
Then I’ll go forth
To heav’n, and Him who gave me birth.

5 The servant and the worker joy
When evening shades at last draw nigh,
Since then their toilsome labors cease,
Worn hands find peace,
And weary bodies their release.

6 In heaven is my Fatherland.
Here I am of the pilgrim band;
My earthly sack, whilst here I roam
Weighs like a tome;
Oh! how my soul doth long for home!

7 Peace only in God’s tent is found;
Earth’s wicked climes with war abound;
O Lord, Thy servant’s death allot,
I am distraught
Too long by Satan’s ceaseless plot.

8 At last, O weary soul, set forth
From ailing flesh and stings of earth;
Thy staff and hood be Jesus’ blood
Through death’s dark wood:
Blest death will turn all things to good.

Translation © 2020 Mathew Carver.

GERMAN

Herr Jesu Christe, Gottes Sohn!
ich red mit dir, wie Simeon:
mein Glaub schon lange sehnte sich
zu sehen dich,
dich zu umfangen festiglich.

2 Nun hab ich mich so manche Zeit
gezogen müd an Eitelkeit,
so drückt mich auch, läßt mir nicht Rast,
die Sünden-Last,
mit der viel Straf wird aufgefasst.

3 Du lässest manchen täglich los,
und setzest ihn in Gottes Schoß,
da man hat ewig süsse Ruh:
wenn schickest du,
den mir auch holden Boten zu.

4 Dein Engel ists, und nicht der Tod,
der mich hinführt aus aller Not,
denn, wenn ich sterb und geh zu Grab,
dann reis ich ab
gen Himmel, der der Erd mich gab.

5 Knecht und Taglöhner sind erfreut,
wenn naht herbei die Abendzeit,
weil sich alsdenn die Arbeiet endt
der müden Händ,
und sich der Leib zur Ruhe wendt.

6 Im Himmel ist mein Vaterland:
hier bin ich in dem Pilgerstand;
der Wanderbündel dieser Erd
mich hart beschwert.
Ach! meine Seel nach Haus begehrt.

7 Fried wohnet nur im HImmelszelt;
voll Krieg ist diese böse Welt.
Dank ab, o Jesu, deine Knecht;
mich hat geschwächt
nun lang genug das Feindgefect.

8 Fahr endlich ab, du müde Seel,
aus deines Leibes Marterhöhl!
Dein Wanderstab sei Christi Blut
und Pilgerhut,
der liebe Tod macht alles gut.

No comments: