07 September 2023

Du gehst bergab mit deinen Füßen

Here is my translation of the Epiphany III hymn, “Du gehst bergab mit deinen Füßen” (Benjamin Schmolck, d. 1737), in NEGB #30 in 7 stanzas, originally appearing in the author’s Der lustige Sabbath (1715) in 10 stanzas, for the 3rd Sunday after the Feast of the Epiphany, wiht title “The River of Grace flowing down from the mountain” and melody assignment: “Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten.” Besides omission of stanzas 8–10, NEGB features an altered line, which is likely quite old, in stanza 5, where it first said, “That Thy Capernaum I am.” It is not clear that Paul Henkel’s “The Leper in His Painful Case” in the Church Hymn Book (1816ff.) for the same Sunday, takes any inspiration from this hymn; if so, it is altered beyond recognition.

 


THY foot the mountainside descendeth,
Most gracious Lord, Immanuel!
No toiling step Thy heart offendeth
When Thou our sickness wilt dispel.
I follow Thee, Physician great!
Oh, heal me in my grievous state!

2 I am by leprosy afflicted,
It rots my bones and marrow deep,
My heart by sin is sore constricted,
And in a wounded state doth keep.
Oh, heal me, Lord, my heart renew,
And I am whole and holy, too.

3 Let me go to the priests as bidden,
When leprous spots of sin I see,
Nor keep my fest’ring vices hidden,
When Moses speaks Thy will to me;
The only gift I can impart
Comes from a faithful, fearless heart.

4 Wilt Thou Thy soothing physic send me,
To heal the cross that stings my breast,
I only to Thy will commend me,
And say, Lord, if Thou think it best!
Thou knowest well the remedy
That best will help and profit me.

5 Come to my house, I too implore Thee,
Like that Centurion that day,
Although I cannot make me worthy
That Thou shouldst with Thy blessing stay.
By grace I may this boast proclaim,
That I Thy dear possession am.

6 Thou canst but speak a Word, and wholly
Dissolve my cross and suffering;
Yet how much more will I then owe Thee
If Thou Thyself, O mighty King,
Wilt give Thy lowly subject grace
And claim within my soul a place.

7 Be Thou in faith my one Foundation;
In Isr’el faith is often small.
Bestow by mighty operation
Bold confidence to pass through all
And stand in Judgment fearlessly,
Nor by the Gentiles scolded be.

8 Grant that I too, beside Thy table
Where Abraham and Isaac dine,
May some day with those saints be able
To find refreshment and recline,
And where such dinner-guests shall come
E’en out of Gentile Christendom.

9 A child of Light, O Maker, name me!
Then will Thy judgment’s just decree
Not to the dungeon dark condemn me
Where teeth must gnash in agony.
For, is my lot in heav’n assigned,
For wailing I salvation find.

10 Whenever death may come, I’ll bear it,
With Thee, Lord, I need not despair;
At once the blessing I inherit
If of the kingdom I’m an heir.
Say but a word, and I shall be
Completely healed eternally.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Du gehst bergab mit deinen Füssen,
holdseligster Immanuel,
und läßt dich keinen Gang verdrüssen
ein Arzt zu sein vor Leib und Seel.
Ich folge deinen Tritten nach,
Ach heile doch mein Ungemach.

2 Der Aussatz hat mich ganz gefressen,
es eitert Mark und Bein in mir,
die Sünde will das Herze pressen,
und stellt mir lauter Wunden für.
Ach heile, Herr, und mache rein,
so werd ich heil und heilig sein.

3 Gib, daß ich mich den Priestern zeige,
wenn mich der Sünden Aussatz plagt,
und meine Laster nicht verschweige,
wenn Moses deinen Willen sagt.
Die Gabe, die ich opfern kann,
kommt aus ein Herz voll Wehrmut an.

4 Willst du mir sonst ein Kreuze stillen,
das meiner Brust beschwerlich fällt,
so stell ich es in deinen Willen,
und sage, Herr, wo dirs gefällt.
Denn du verstehst am besten wohl,
wie mir geholfen werden soll.

5 Ach kehr auch unter meinem Dache,
wie dorte bei dem Hauptmann ein.
Ob ich mich gleich nicht würdig mache,
dein süsser Aufenthalt zu sein.
Aus Gnaden hab ich diesen Ruhm,
daß ich auch dein Capernaum.  [… bin dein Eigenthum.]

6 Du kannst wohl durch ein Wort verrichten,
was mir mein Kreuze lindern kann,
doch wirst du mich noch mehr verpflichten,
wenn du zu deinem Unterthan,
o grosser König, selbsten kömmst,
und Platz in meiner Seelen nimmst.

7 Laß mich im Glauben auf dich bauen,
er ist oft klein in Israel.
Drum pflanz ein freudiges Vertrauen,
durch deine Kraft, in meine Seel,
daß mich einmal auf jenen Tag
kein Heide nicht beschimpfen mag.

8 Gib, daß mich dort an deinen Tische,
wo Abraham und Isaac speist,
auch dermaleins die Kost erfrische,
die lauter Lust und Leben heißt,
und wo man solche Gäste findt,
die auch von Heiden kommen sind.

9 Laß mich ein Kind des Lichtes heissen,
so wird mich auch dein Urtheilschluß
in keinen finstern Kerker schmeissen,
wo man mit Zähnen klappen muß.
Denn weil im Himmel ist mein Theil,
find ich vor Heulen lauter Heil.

10 Kommt es mit mir einmal zum Sterben,
es heißt bei dir nur, Gehe hin!
So kann ich bald auf einmal erben,
wo ich ein Kind des Reiches bin.
Ein einzigs Wort braucht nur dein Mund,
so bin ich ewiglich gesund.

No comments: