22 February 2023

Ich bin vergnügt, und halte stille

 Here is my translation of the Trust / Cross & Comfort hymn, “Ich bin vergnügt und halte stille” (Clemens Thieme, d. 1668), Ev.-Luth Gsb #514, first appearing in the Luppin Gsb 1692 but is only named explicitly in other works following. It is falsely ascribed to Countess Ludämilia Elisabeth of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt (e.g., in our source) by confusion with a hymn of hers beginning “Ich bein vergnügt, ach Herr, wenn ich,” etc. Fischer adds: “The relationship of our hymn to the previous [“Ich bin vergnügt nach gottes Willen / Und wie ers mit mir selber schickt”] is not yet adequately elucidated. That hymn by Tug seems to me only a reworking of ours which cannot be called an improvement. Thieme’s hymn is more disseminated and its text is transmitted by hymnals in great uniformity, while the texts of the aforesaid hymn vary frequently.” The appointed melody is “Wer nur den lieben Gott.”

 



I AM content and take my leisure,
Though many trials on me press,
I reason: ’tis God’s will and pleasure,
Who did this cross to me address
And only for my betterment.
Then with it all I am content.

2 I am content in all affliction,
I know it will not last for aye;
My Savior gives me this conviction:
My tears to gladness shall give way;
Victorious, Jesus underwent
The whole world’s grief. I am content.

3 I am content in expectation,
Though God help not as I intend;
His is the safest information:
He knoweth best the hour and end.
I wait for Him, nor need invent
Some empty hope. I am content.

4 I am content in my existence;
Though what I have be poor and small,
Yet I believe with faith’s insistence
That God my Father can give all.
Though poverty may bear lament,
I say again: I am content.

5 I am content despite the mocking
Of Satan and the world untrue;
What harm the wicked factions’ talking?
Victorious is Christ’s retinue!
I humbly heed His precedent
And patience keep: I am content.

6 I am content in death, my spirit
Longs to depart; ’tis no afraid;
I know that we the crown inherit
Which long ago for us was made;
God keeps His Word and covenant:
So yet I say: I am content.

7 I am content to be in Jesus,
Held in His arms of loving care;
He warms my heart whene’er it freezes,
No futile passions tempt me there;
His vict’ry He to me hath lent:
Now I am perfectly content.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ich bin vergnügt, und halte stille,
wenn mich gleich manche Trübsal drückt,
und denke, daß es Gottes Wille,
der mir das kreuze zugeschickt;
und hat er mir es zugefügt,
so bin ich doch mit ihm vergnügt.

2 Ich bin vergnügt in allem Leiden,
dieweil es doch nicht ewig währt;
es soll mich nichts von Jesu scheiden,
weil Leid in Freude wird verkehrt;
mein Heiland hat die Angst besiegt
der ganzen Welt! ich bin vergnügt.

3 Ich bin vegnügt in meinem Hoffen,
denn hilft Gott gleich nicht wie ich will,
so hat er doch den Schluß getroffen,
er weiß die beste Zeit und Ziel.
Ich harr auf ihn, denn so betrügt
die Hoffnung nicht; ich bin vergnügt.

4 Ich bin vergnügt in meinem Leben;
hab ich nicht viel und mancherlei
so glaub ich, daß mir Alles geben
kann, der mein Gott und Vater sei.
Obgleich der Arme unten liegt,
so heißt es doch: ich bin vergnügt.

5 Ich bin vergnügt, wenn meiner spotten,
der Satan und die falsche Welt;
was schaden mir die argen Rotten?
Ein frommer Christ behält das Feld,
wenn er sich nur geduldig schmiegt,
und Demuth liebt; ich bin vergnügt.

6 Ich bin vergnügt auch in dem Sterben,
wenn nun der Geist vom Körper eilt;
ich weiß, daß wir die Kron ererben,
die uns vorlängsten zugetheilt,
weil Gott in seinem Wort nicht lügt,
drum sag ich noch: ich bin vergnügt.

7 Ich bin vergnügt in Jesu Armen,
und lieg an in seinem Liebesbrust,
da kann meine kaltes Herz erwarmen,
ich achte keiner eitlen Lust;
ich habe nun die Welt besiegt
und bin vollkommen jetzt vergnügt.

No comments: