12 January 2014

Erhör mich wann ich schrei

Here is my translation of "Erhör mich wann ich schrei" (B. Waldis, 1553), a paraphrase of Psalm IV, Cum Invocarem. Waldis titles his paraphrase, "A Prayer against False Teachers, and Consolation in God's Word." The beautiful, haunting tune, as typical of Waldis' psalter, was composed by hymnwriter.



LORD hear me when I call,
                Let me not fall;
  In my distress support me!
Thou rightous art, I know;
              Thy help bestow,
  Allow no foe to thwart me.
Thou wilt my sigh receive,
                  Nor ever leave
  My soul in mis’ ry lying.
And when I cry to Thee,
              Thy grace I see,
  And all the foe a-flying!

2. Ye princes, say, what gain
                         Do ye obtain,
  To treat as shame my glory,
Confiding in your might,
           Your vain delight,
  Your false, deceitful story?
Confess the strength of God,
                His works applaud,
  Which He hath freely shown you
Who with His wonders led
            Thro’ dangers dread,
  And in His love hath known you.

3. Though He in wrath reproved,             
                  And ye were moved,
  He will not still pursue it
If ye repent you clean
           Of hate and sin,
  And with true love subdue it;
All wisdom do ye own
        as God’s alone,—
  All judgment as His solely,
Who crushes the unjust,—
               In Him then trust,
  And ye shall prosper wholly.

4. Full many scorn to view
               The message true
  When I impart its teaching.
They say, “By whose command
                         Are we to stand
  And praise as good thy preaching?”
Yet this we have by grace:
           God makes His face
  To shine on us with blessing,
And with His Word’s fair ray
                  Doth light convey‚—
  For which we long unceasing.

5. Although the masses brook
                          Alone to look
  For life of ease and leisure,
Thy Word my comfort is,
           My rock, my bliss,
  My spring of deepest pleasure.
When I Thy bidding keep,
           E’en though I sleep,
  Thou kindly wilt sustain me
In safety close to Thee,
          Thou helpest me,
  And plenty dost ordain me.

6. Thus he who knows it best
                       In Thee to rest,
  Of all Thy bounties shareth,
E’en as Thy Holy Word,
           O gracious Lord,
  Abundantly declareth.
For this in Christ, Thy Son,
           Our thanks we own,
  Acclaiming Him our Savior,
Who from the Spirit won
            For us Thy crown
  And everlasting favor.

Translation © 2013–2014 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Erhör mich wann ich schrei,
und steh mir bei;
Herr tröste in den Nöten!
Ich weiß, du bist gerecht,
hilf deinem Knecht,
daß mich die Feind nicht töten!
Fürwahr du läßt mich nit
wenn ich dich bitt
in diesem Elend stecken,
und wann ich schrei zu dir,
bist gnädig mir,
so muß der Feind erschrecken.

2. Ihr Herrn, was hilfts euch nun,
daß ihr mein Tun
verhöhnt und so vernichtet
dagegn eur grosse Macht
auch losen Pracht
und Lügentand aufrichtet?
Erkennt doch Gottes Stärk,
daß er sein Werk
so wunderlich ausführet,
durch Angst und Todesfahr
gar wunderbar
wird seine Hilf gespüret.

3. Ob sich gleich Zorn erregt,
und euch bewegt,
so wollt nicht drinn beharren,
sondern bedenkt euch baß,
daß ihr den Haß
unter die Lieb verscharren,
Gebt Gott allein den Preis,
daß er sei weis,
und grecht in allen Dingen,
der alles Übel straft,
drum auf ihn hofft,
so wird euch alls gelingen.

4. Viel Leut wolln hören nicht
den rechten Bricht
wann ichs will unterweisen,
sprechen, Wer hats befohln,
daß wir uns solln
an deine Lehre preisen?
So fehlts uns dennoch nicht,
sein Angesicht
läßt Got übr uns erklären,
und mit seins Wortes Glanz
erleuchtet ganz
solch Freud wir stets begehren.

5. Obschon der große Hauf
sieht nur darauf,
daß er hie wohl mög leben,
so tröst mich doch dein Wort,
und ist mein Hort,
das mir kann Freuden geben.
Wann ich dein Willen schaff,
ob ich schon schlaf,
wirst du mich doch ernähren,
in Sicherheit bei dir,
hilfest du mir
und wirst mir gnug bescheren.

6. Weil du das hast gesagt,
wers auf dich wagt,
den willt du solchs gewähren,
wie uns dein heilges Wort
an allem Ort
alls reichlich tut erklären,
deß danken wir dir all
mit großem Schall,
in Christo deinem Sohne,
der uns deins Geistes Gnad
erworben hat,
und deiner Ehrenkrone.

No comments: