04 October 2012

Mein Trost und Hülf ist Gott allein

I interrupt my series on the hymns of David Spaiser to bring you my translation of the anonymous choral piece, which became a 1-stanza hymn of sorts: “Mein Trost und Hülf ist Gott allein,” first found in Balthasar Musculus, Viertzig schönen geistliche Gesenglein . . . (1597). It is a brief and heartfelt consolation in the face of adversity. The German is quoted, i.a., in Valerius Herberger, Magnalia Dei, Part 8, medit. XI.


MY HELP and stay is God alone, 
  From Him I’ll wander never. 
As His true servant I’ll be known 
  In life and death forever. 
And though the world with all its host 
Oppose me to the uttermost 
  Yet naught will move me from my God 
  While yet my tongue can speak a word. 
    World, what of thee?
    God shieldeth me,
  On Him my trust is founded.

Translation © 2012 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Mein Trost und Hülf ist Gott allein,
  ich hab mich ihm ergeben.
Ich bin und bleib der Diener sein
  im Tod und auch im Leben.
Und wenn mir gleich zuwider wär
die ganze Welt mit ihrem Heer,
  von Gott ich doch will lassen nicht,
  dieweili mein Zung ein Wörtlein spricht.
    Welt, wie du willt,
    Gott ist mein Schild:
  Auf ihn steht mein Vertrauen.

No comments: