31 January 2010

O Gott, verleih mir dein Genad (st. 7 / 7)

Here is my translation of “O Gott, verleih mir dein Genad” (J. Sanffdorffer) orig. appearing in Schumann (1539), and then Babst (1545) with the melody from “Mag ich Unglück nicht widerstahn,” and the title: Wider die drei Erzfeinde der Seelen [“Against the Three Arch-Enemies of the Soul”]. Ludecus (1589) appoints it for Septuagesima and Sexagesima, and for the feasts of the apostles and of St. Lawrence.



O GOD, ON ME Thy grace bestow
Where’er I go,
Or else I soon must stumble.
How many fearsome foes abound,
My steps to hound
And from Thee make me tumble!
The world doth cast / Its net so vast,
The sinful flesh / Doth tempt afresh:
Lord, hear my groaning humble!

2. The devil is the grimmest foe,
He works great woe
With countless crafts and cunning,
And if a man not flee away,
The rogue can play
A friend of semblance stunning:
Thus robed in guile / Of many a style
He steals the life / Of sinners rife,
From heaven blindly running.

3. Defend me from the murd’rer’s ways,
Lord, in Thy grace,
Let not my heart be taken!
If Thou build not the house and hall,
They quickly fall
When by his tempests shaken!
O Christ, if Thou / Do not endow
Thy help immense / For my defense,
Then I am sore forsaken.

4. Therefore O Lord, beside me stay,
From day to day,
Until I down have laid me,
And I will barter life and blood,
And every good,—
Send but Thy balm to aid me,
And I will stand, / Though every land
Desert its Lord; / The devil’s horde
Will not from Thee dissuade me.

5. Though world and devils all unite
Their force and might
To form one mighty nation,
Yet Thine are peace and comforts prized,
Lord Jesus Christ,
And theirs, but devastation;
From thence I’ll fly / To Thee on high;
Refuse me not! / But make my lot
Thy blessed habitation!

6. Nigh draws the day of great distress,
And close it is!
When those who spurn Thy favor,
Nor in this time of woe repent—
Shall loud lament;
Exposed, their foul behavior
Shall pay them sore / Forevermore,
By Thy decree: / O God, make me
To wake in Christ my Savior!

7. Thine Israel Thou shalt let go
From every woe
When comes Thy day of splendor,
But justly to that godless race
That spurns Thy grace,
A hellish sentence render.
O mighty God, / Of Sab’oth Lord,
To Thee I cry / Lord, hear my sigh,
And be my true Defender!

Translation © Matthew Carver, 2010.

GERMAN
1. O Gott, verleih mir dein Genad,
gib Hilf und Rath,
ich muß sonst gar verzagen.
Es seind der Feind’ so grausam viel
in diesem Ziel,
die mich von dir wölln jagen.
Mir hat die Welt ihr Netz gestellt,
das sündlich Fleisch mich von dir heischt:
O Herr, dir thu ichs klagen.

2. Der Teufel ist der ärgste Feind,
er reißt und greint
und treibt viel böser Tücken;
Und hat doch niemand Scheuen dran,
das macht, er kann
den Schalk gar höflich schmücken;
In gleißnerei so mancherlei
er sich verbirgt, viel Volks erwürgt,
wenn ers von dir thut zücken.

3. Vor diesem Mörder mich behüt,
Herr, durch dein Güt,
in mir mach rein das Herze!
Wo du nicht selber baust das Haus,
vor diesem Graus
so fällts mit grossem Schmerze.
Wo du nicht bist, Herr Jesu Christ,
selbst Helfer groß für diesem Stoß,
so ists um mich ein Scherze.

4. Darum, o Herr, thu bei mir stahn,
von jetzund an
bis an mein letztes Ende!
So will ich frischlich wogen dran
als was ich han,
dein Trost thu mir nur senden:
So bleib ich fest, und das zerbrest
die Welt all gar, der Teufel Schar
soll mich von dir nicht wenden.

5. Wenn schon die Welt und Teufel all
in diesem Thal
auf einen Haufen stunden,
so ist doch bei dir Trost und Frist,
Herr Jesu Christ,
du kannst sie überwinden.
Ich fahr daher, und wenns leid wär
auch jedermann, leit mir nicht dran:
bei dir laß ich mich finden.

6. Es kommt der Tag, und ist nicht weit,
der bringt groß Leid
den, die sich jetzt kann schrecken,
und glauben nicht in dieser Noth
in dich, o Gott!
wirst ihr Schalkheit aufdecken,
und straffen sie immer und je
auch ewiglich: O Gott, thu mich
in Christo auferwecken!

7. Du wirst helfen aus aller Quäl
dem Israel,
wenn kommen wird dein Tage,
und wirst verdammen durch dein Recht
das gottlos Gschlecht,
die jetzt an dir verzagen.
O starker Gott, Herr Zebaoth,
ich tritt zu dir, o Herr, hilf mir:
ich wills frei tapfer wagen!

No comments: